Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Do you question the use of these sound effects on radio commercials?

Do you question the use of these sound effects on radio commercials?

When I'm driving with my car radio on, sometimes there are radio commercials that literally use car horns loudly honking/blaring, tires squealing or sirens.

I find this very questionable and potentially unsafe.

I realize not everyone would be driving while listening but it certainly puts me on immediate "clenched muscles" fight-or-flight reaction until I realize it's just a commercial.

Posted - June 25, 2021

Responses

I thought I was the only one who felt that way.  As soo as I hear a sound like that, I immediately check my dashboard to see if some light is red.  I have often felt it was dangerous to make those commercials with those sounds.  Likewise, I found it distracting when I saw someone who looked to have half a cat hanging out of the trunk of his car.  Taking your eyes off the road to look can be an accident waiting to happen.
      June 25, 2021 6:22 PM MDT

Thanks for answering, SpunkySenior.
    It doesn't happen often for me and I've gotten through okay each time. And I don't get quite so uptight as the gif. :)
      June 26, 2021 5:44 AM MDT

No, I don't get as bad as the gif, but it is unsettling when you hear some of those sounds.
      June 26, 2021 9:18 AM MDT

The only sound effect I don't like to hear on radio is Police Sirens.
      June 25, 2021 9:06 PM MDT

Yeah, I'm sort of the same way, ONeg-84.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 26, 2021 10:01 AM MDT
      June 26, 2021 5:45 AM MDT

Yes I can see that.  Good point. 
      June 25, 2021 9:20 PM MDT

Thanks, officegirl.
    I'm sort of surprised to see three people have agreed. 
      June 26, 2021 5:48 AM MDT

I haven't really noticed any of those sound effects. But yes they would be distracting. 

I used have a album that I listened to in the car.  One song had a police siren in it. Everything it came on I would start to look for a place to pull over. And I knew exactly where it was and in what song. Some things are just instincts now.
      June 26, 2021 6:01 AM MDT

Yes, but I never really listen to commercials on the radio. If I'm in a radio mood, I'll try changing the station. If I find nothing to my liking, I play whatever CD is in or listen to music through my phone. 

June 26, 2021 10:46 AM MDT

I would find such sound effects distracting and annoying too, but luckily can choose stations that play no bloomin' ads at all.   I can even choose simply not to switch the radio on.
      June 26, 2021 5:19 PM MDT