Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A Mug pal sez he thinks everyone is a tiny bit mentally ill...say 1%. I think he's right. I know I get wacky from time to time. Do you?

A Mug pal sez he thinks everyone is a tiny bit mentally ill...say 1%. I think he's right. I know I get wacky from time to time. Do you?

With me it could well be more than 1%. I talk a lot. I'm bound to whack out more often than those who don't.

So far if I've been harmed by being wacky I'm unaware of it. Lucky me. Lucky thee too?

Posted - June 26, 2021

Responses

Everyone IS mentally ill.. and not just a "tiny bit".  When we think of mental illness, we tend to think of the "biggies" such as schizophrenia, Bipolarism, depression, and such.  However mental illness covers a lot of territory.  Phobias and sexual dysfunction are also a form of mental illness.  While a small amount of mental illness is due to how a person is wired, most mental illness comes after we're born; incidents in our lives (eg. trauma), how we were/are treated by others, how society says we should see ourselves, and much more.  Most people aren't going to admit to having a mental illness, as society has placed a social stigma on the term mental illness.  That's why most mental illnesses go undiagnosed.

Being "wacky" isn't necessarily a sign of mental illness.  Everyone is wacky.  Just look around.  When I worked, I made up jokes and did some improv.  Me, a very shy person, doing improv with pieces of merchandise packing, in the isle of a store at 5 am.   THAT'S wacky!
      June 26, 2021 12:00 PM MDT

I have a FEAR OF HEIGHTS. I feel safer at home. I get panicky in crowds. Mental illness? Okey dokey. Emotional problems? I don't know where it comes from. I guess anything is possible. Of course one is forced to overcome such limitations. I never worked from home so I had to go out and work in a variety of offices. No problemo. I just never took any job above the 3rd floor. Went to Century City once for a job interview. Never having been there before I had no clue. I called and cancelled and went home. When I look out a window I don't want to see other people looking out of windows. Thank you for your reply Shuhak. I think I must be wacky to never run out of questions. Something is amiss for sure. :)
      June 26, 2021 1:11 PM MDT