Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Imagine getting compliments for an "American" accent? I can't but it happens. Now when I hear a Brit,Canadian,Aussie? CLASSY. AMERICAN?

Imagine getting compliments for an "American" accent? I can't but it happens. Now when I hear a Brit,Canadian,Aussie? CLASSY. AMERICAN?

Are you kidding me?

There is a certain grace to the slow pace of the southern drawl y'all. But that's all.

Posted - June 27, 2021

Responses

You can detect Canadian accents? Many can't eh?
      June 27, 2021 4:22 PM MDT

The pronunciation of certain words is a dead giveaway. Of course some are more definite than others. But mostly I can. On TV for example when shows are originated in Canada it's easy to tell. Now can I always know all the time? No. But mostly so far I figger it out by the sound that hits my ear. it's no great accomplishment actually. Just as some are more adept at speaking foreign languages with a very good accent. in fact in high school when I took French our French teacher had a LOUSY accent and from time to he woujld ask me to read something. I have what they call a "facile" uvula.  I shall ask a question about it. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Monday to thee! "_
      June 28, 2021 3:23 AM MDT

Interesting. I have, over the years, been able to pick out a Canadian accent despite their pronunciation of some words. When I studied German in HS, the teacher also had no German accent and told a couple of us ours was excellent. Same with a Russian language professor I had.
      June 28, 2021 6:50 AM MDT

There it is! Exactly. So you know what I'm talking about. I mean I was born with it. So were you. We can't take credit for it. It just is. Our teacher was a really sweet man but his pronunciation was really hard to listen to. He knew it too. He was an EXCELLENT teacher. Everyone really admired him and respected him. So his accent was lousy! So what? Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 28, 2021 7:03 AM MDT