Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why do some members of the LGBTQ community refer to themselves as "queer"? I think it is very offensive so is there a point to it?

Why do some members of the LGBTQ community refer to themselves as "queer"? I think it is very offensive so is there a point to it?

What I heard on TV was

"We're here we're queer get used to it."

I honestly and truly am trying to understand the why of it and I can't get there. Anyone out there get it?

Posted - June 27, 2021

Responses

If it is OK to them, it is OK with me. Remember the original definition of queer...odd.
      June 27, 2021 4:18 PM MDT

I know. Why refer to oneself as odd? It seems to me that it is a putdown others use to denigrate. Everyone is odd in some ways if by "odd" you mean different. But it is not a compliment in my opinion. Different strokes. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      June 28, 2021 3:29 AM MDT

I will ask the gay members here what they think.
      June 28, 2021 6:45 AM MDT

Thanks m'dear. That is a very kind thing for you to do. I appreciate it in advance. I don't know why it bothers me but it does. As if they feel the need to do it first before others do? Oh. Wait. Maybe they think using it takes the bite out of it? There was a comedian named LENNY BRUCE many years ago who purposely used very bad language. His point was they were just words. Could that possibly be the why? I bristle when folks refer to accountants as BEAN COUNTERS and that is a very very very MILD putdown. :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 28, 2021 6:50 AM MDT
      June 28, 2021 6:50 AM MDT

In the Navy, many ratings had nicknames. I was a twidget...electronics.
      June 28, 2021 6:52 AM MDT

A twidget? A male gidget? I kinda like it E. Did they call you "twidge"? I wonder who coined those terms and are they written up somewhere so you can learn what they mean in advance of being called them? Thank you for your reply! I think twidget is way lots loads more clever and imaginative than bean counter. :)
      June 28, 2021 6:58 AM MDT