Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Allegedly the collapsed tower residents were WARNED of the structural danger and asked to pay $15 MILLION to fix them. They didn't. WHY?

Allegedly the collapsed tower residents were WARNED of the structural danger and asked to pay $15 MILLION to fix them. They didn't. WHY?

Posted - June 29, 2021

Responses

Only they can say, but I'd guess a mixture of being unable to afford their share, and feeling it should be the developers or owners, not residents, who should pay.

This has a parallel in Britain in the aftermath of the Grenfell Tower blaze due to a fire in one flat setting alight the inflammable external cladding. The developers, building owners and the authorities seemed to think it's up to the residents to pay to have the cladding on their own blocks to be inspected and replaced if necessary. Yet these are not high-value holiday-home or "exclusive" developments, but high-rise blocks of flats typically inhabited by people on relatively low wages, or on pensions; and now trapped in leasehold accommodation they cannot sell because no-one would want to buy it.

(The Public Inquiry into the fire is still in progress, hampered of course by the pandemic.)
      June 29, 2021 2:59 PM MDT

How sad is THAT? People take on these things IN GOOD FAITH only to have that faith attacked and undermined by what comes after. So I guess the question is at what point do the builders stop being responsible for what they built? I think the answer is NEVER. If they use shoddy materials or engage in shoddy workmanship why is that the responsibility of those who purchase in good faith? Where do YOU think it should end Durdle? I shall ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine! :)
      June 30, 2021 3:27 AM MDT