Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I think builders should be RESPONSIBLE for what they build forever after. People buy in good faith. Why should THEY be on the hook for it?

I think builders should be RESPONSIBLE for what they build forever after. People buy in good faith. Why should THEY be on the hook for it?

What do you think? Once apartments or condos or homes are sold does all future responsibility for what goes wrong DUE TO DEFECTS IN CONSTRUCTION rest on the shoulders of the owners? If so why so?

Posted - June 30, 2021

Responses

I worked for a mechanical contractor for several years and the blame for something like this doesn't fall just on the builders. Some of the blame should also be shouldered by the buyers/owners for not paying closer attention to what they are buying. They should always have the property inspected "before" they buy it. Buying in good faith is not a good idea.

It's also up to the building maintenance people to keeps tabs on everything that goes on within the building. Not to mention that the local, city and state inspectors need to do their part by keeping close tabs on everything. To carry out regular and thorough inspections. If a court trial ensues, all of this information will eventually come to light. Hopefully, they get to the bottom of this tragedy.
      June 30, 2021 4:20 AM MDT

From what I've read, back in 2018, the cracks were apparent in the garage, which flooded consistently.  If nothing else, that should have been a clue that something was seriously wrong.  It took from then until now for the condo association to hire contractors to rectify the situation.  The cost to the owners would have been about $15 million and they balked at the cost.  Before it could go any further - WHAM!  Several owners said they contacted maintenance and the condo association about some of the issues they found on their own, to no avail.  

I agree that before purchasing a property, the prospective owners should have had it inspected.  That would certainly apply to anyone buying in the last 3-55 years, but what if they purchased before that and the inspection showed no problems?  If the inspection showed serious issues that needed to be addressed, the inspectors should have followed up more closely to make sure corrective action was taken. 

When all is said and done, I'm pretty sure there will be more than one reason for the collapse and more than one entity on which to place blame.  This was a tragedy that could have probably been avoided - at least to the extent of the disaster.   
      June 30, 2021 6:31 AM MDT

:):):)
      June 30, 2021 7:23 AM MDT

After reading what you said, it looks as if everyone involved has a level of blame. Balking at a 15 million dollar contractor bill is one thing but at what cost? Loss of human lives?
      June 30, 2021 8:54 AM MDT

I agree that you can't measure the loss of lives by the cost of making repairs.  There's more than enough blame to go around and I'm sure when the dust settles and the causes are identified, blame will surely be placed.  Bottom line is that no matter how much money anyone receives for the loss of the lives, it will not bring anyone back, nor will it be enough.  
      June 30, 2021 10:11 AM MDT

No building can stand if the ground moves.

Nothing built by man lasts forever.  

If I buy a car and do not do the maintenance....it is not the car makers fault when it blows up.
      June 30, 2021 6:02 AM MDT

The Great Sphinx of Giza was built 4,500 years ago, by man, on sand, and it's still standing. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at June 30, 2021 9:05 AM MDT
      June 30, 2021 6:22 AM MDT

:):):)
      June 30, 2021 7:24 AM MDT

And his nose and both beards (original and the replacement) are gone.
      Over 1/2 of the condo in FL did not fall....do we count that as still standing?
      June 30, 2021 1:22 PM MDT

You are equating the loss of two external features (nose, beard) on a 4,500-year old structure that is 481 feet high with the internal structural collapse of a 40-year old, 16 story building that is approximately 160 feet high.  Yeah, I can see that.  No difference at all.
      June 30, 2021 3:30 PM MDT

:)::):)
      July 1, 2021 3:28 AM MDT

No, you did that.  I simply continued your anology. 

Do you believe the sphinx will last forever?  It was built by man...it will not. It has remained  because it is in a desert. ( it building has failed) No water, no freezing, no sea salt etc. 
     Also a big difference between a carved limestone structure and a poured concrete struction.  This post was edited by my2cents at July 1, 2021 6:35 AM MDT
      July 1, 2021 6:15 AM MDT

Once again, you haven't grasped the point of my comment.  No use in continuing this discussion.
      July 1, 2021 7:56 AM MDT