Active Now

Zack
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are all internet social sites the same? People gather together to exchange views? Is it convivial congenial constructive conciliatory?

Are all internet social sites the same? People gather together to exchange views? Is it convivial congenial constructive conciliatory?

Posted - July 7, 2021

Responses

I do use another slightly similar to this but with a far greater and open "adult" section which can be very unpleasant.

Aside from that though some of the "discussions" on contentious matters like politics and religion can be very nasty with a lot of foul language but no analysis, no thought, no openess to others' ideas and opinions.

On the other side of the coin a couple of fora dedicated to my hobbies are much more courteous and constructive. Possibly they being relatively small-scale helps them be more closely monitored but users themselves will object to anyone who over-steps the mark.
      July 7, 2021 8:11 AM MDT

I'm not a social person Durdle. But years ago in 2005 my son became involved with the owner of an internet social site called ANSWERBAG. My son was working on his Ph.D at UCLA in the Computer and Library Sciences field so he used Answerbag as a source for some of the research he did. He invited me to drop by to check it out. He also invited his best friend whose moniker is OLD SCHOOL to do the same. We did. We stayed. My son moved on. OLD SCHOOL was banned from this site. Too much honest talk I guess. I just came off a 48 suspension. For using answers others give in questions. I know. How dare I quote actual people verbatim and use that as platform for further conversation? Unforgivable. Whatever. I'm just a passenger and the powers that be Captain this site. I think it's ridiculously absurd but what I think doesn't matter. Anyway after Answerbag unceremoniously stopped some folks migrated here including Old School. He told me some who also transferred to it were asking about me so I dropped by to see what what going on. It was nice to reconnect with my pals. So here I am. But if my son had not extended the invitation on my own I would never have investigated it. As I said I am not a social person. Thank you for your reply. So how many social sites do you regularly visit? This post was edited by RosieG at July 7, 2021 8:26 AM MDT
      July 7, 2021 8:24 AM MDT