Active Now

Zack
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » When you speak make sure it's the TRUTH. Otherwise keep your mouth shut. Now why is that so difficult for some to do?

When you speak make sure it's the TRUTH. Otherwise keep your mouth shut. Now why is that so difficult for some to do?

Some have never tried it. Wouldn't be caught dead or alive telling a truth. A lie is the only way to fly according to some.

Why tell the truth and be a target or make yourself vulnerable?

Posted - July 7, 2021

Responses

The definition of "truth" is based upon being in accordance with "fact".

However, this common understanding of "truth", in my view, is lacking.

This is because while "fact" is objective (or ought to be), "truth" is subjective, that is, subject to human interpretation.

A person may make a mistake about a particular fact, and though they got it wrong, yet they were sincere about it - Have they told a "lie"? - Not according to the way polygraphs work!

This post was edited by Robert at July 8, 2021 3:04 AM MDT
      July 7, 2021 3:01 PM MDT

TRUTH
    The true or actual state of a matter
    Conformity with fact or reality. Verity.
    A verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle or the like
    The state or character of being true
    Actuality or actual existence
    An obvious or accepted fact; truism
    Honesty integrity truthfulness'

When in doubt as you seem to be look it up in the dictionary. That will set you on the right course.

Thank you for your reply. Happy Thursday to thee and thine. I am a huge fan of dictionaries. Are you?
      July 8, 2021 3:10 AM MDT

While recognizing there is nothing wrong with what RosieG has said, I'm not the only one to wonder about whether someone should be considered to be lying if they sincerely say something but it was wrong.

- - - - Start of extract: - - - -

Posted by u/AgreesWithYou [Feb 12, 2011, 02.43 Indochina time (GMT+0700)]

Is it considered lying if you say something incorrect, even if you didn't know it was wrong?

"[...] say I read on Wikipedia that tomatoes are a vegetable. I don't know any better and say tomatoes are the worst vegetable. I get back: "You're a f*#king liar, tomatoes are a fruit". I may be wrong, but I am not deliberately misleading anyone.

So if someone says something wrong, not knowing any better, are they unintentionally lying or is that not a lie at all?"

Extract source:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/fjn7r/is_it_considered_lying_if_you_say_something/

- - - - End of extract - - - -

This post was edited by Robert at July 11, 2021 10:54 AM MDT
      July 11, 2021 10:53 AM MDT