Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Something in which I am exceedingly interested is often something we can never know. FIRSTS. Are you curious about them too?

Something in which I am exceedingly interested is often something we can never know. FIRSTS. Are you curious about them too?

Who was the very FIRST one to create and play a musical instrument? Write a song, a poem, a play, a novel? Dance or sing or do acrobatics?

Lost to history.

Maybe the Library at Alexandria housed such information. We will never know. It burned down and everything that existed therein, the knowledge of the world at the time, was destroyed. Pity that.

Posted - July 12, 2021

Responses

The oldest musical instrument in the world, a 60,000-year-old Neanderthal flute is a treasure of global significance. It was discovered in Divje babe cave near Cerkno and has been declared by experts to have been made by Neanderthals.

July 12, 2021 6:29 AM MDT

((HUGS)) First things first m'dear. Thank you so much for this reply and the photos. WOW! But haven't homo saps been around about 300,000 years? No music at all for 240,000 of them?

Anyway 60,000 years old is pretty old! :) I wonder what it sounds like though probably it is handled with very great care and no one would DARE blow on it or through it!  It might crumble! :)
      July 12, 2021 6:34 AM MDT

Perhaps earlier homo sapiens just enjoyed the peace and quiet.  The the Neanderthals came along with their flutes and there went the neighborhood!
      July 12, 2021 8:04 AM MDT

Hahahahaha! Funnee hunnee. But a world without music? I cannot imagine that. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      July 13, 2021 5:11 AM MDT

As a teenager, I had music going all the time.  As an adult, less often and these days, almost the only time I listen to music is in the car when I'm driving.  
      July 13, 2021 10:18 AM MDT

I did too. I even did while living here for awhile until the radio died. I've done nothing to get it repaired or replaced. I used to listen to KTWV....the wave...jazz. Now it's the TV on news usually unless Jim is watching some sports things. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      July 15, 2021 7:34 AM MDT

My preference is the oldies (50s, 60s, 70s) music, but there are only a couple of stations here in NYC that still play them.  Happy Thursday. :)
      July 15, 2021 7:59 AM MDT

Thanks L. The 8 day forecast is all double digit...mostly 98 or 99. We'll take it! :)
      July 15, 2021 1:44 PM MDT

I'll send you a sweater. :)  It's been warm here 85-90 most days, but the humidity has been very high and that makes it more miserable.  I went to mail a letter yesterday afternoon.  I walked 1.5 blocks there ad 1.5 blocks back and by the time I get upstairs, I was sweating from pores I didn't even know I had.  
      July 15, 2021 3:03 PM MDT

We (Jim mostly) do weeding and watering as soon as it gets a bit light which is about 5:30am. It's really so nice out at that time. Sadly stores aren't open though Walmart opens at 6am for seniors. But no other stores do. Some open at 7am but many don't open till 9am. If I have to mail something or go to the bank it is always the last thing we do before we come back home.  Thank you for your reply L and Happy Friday to you m'dear! :)
      July 16, 2021 3:47 AM MDT

I'm betting that the first "reed" instrument was the same thing kids do, still.
    Pluck a blade of grass, hold it between thumbs, and blow to create vibrations and "music".

The first "drum" was likely someone hitting a hollow log, or "odd" sounding rock.

It's probably not a coincidence that the earliest string instruments were harps.
    Someone probably heard the "twang" of a bowstring, and wondered what would happen if they added more strings of varying length.

Unfortunately, the oldest written piece of music we have is much younger ... the Hurrian Hymn to Nikkal, written around 1400 BCE.
    You can actually find it being played, online.

July 12, 2021 2:57 PM MDT

Thank you for a very helpful and informative reply Walt. I appreciate it. I'm going to ask this question. "What would a world without music be like, or rainbows, or sunsets or sunrises?" How much beauty could you do without that we have now? Here goes.
      July 13, 2021 5:14 AM MDT