Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Writers employ different styles. Some you like some you don't. But no writer worth his/her salt alters his/her MO to please critics. DO YOU?

Writers employ different styles. Some you like some you don't. But no writer worth his/her salt alters his/her MO to please critics. DO YOU?

Posted - July 18, 2021

Responses

Of course not.  Writing styles are unique to each person.  If I tried to alter my writing style, not only would my writing suffer, but it would no longer be "my" writing.  Writing (fiction) comes from the imagination, not from a critic.
      July 18, 2021 1:15 PM MDT

BINGO! EXACTAMUNDO! NO BRAINER! DUH. Long ago and far away on Answerbag I actually had a BAGGER advise me as to how I could improve my questions! No kidding. Out of the largesse of his heart he was going to guide me to the promised land! I think I bet you know how I responded. Can you believe the nerve of that guy? Tell Shakespeare to write like John Steinbeck! Tell Rosie to write like Shuhak? That insults both of us and strips us of our uniqueness. It's neither better nor worse it's just different. Your cuppa tea or not? Doesn't matter. I like flavored teas. Some preferred unflavored. SO WHAT? Tell any writer of anything how to better at it without being invited to by the writer? SERIOUSLY?

Unless you are in a class for that purpose because you are incapable and inadequate in expressing your views I say "who the he** do you think you are?" Well I don't remember EXACTLY what I told him but he never bothered me again. And then once there was a very sweet lady who'd show up rarely. She finally told me my questions were to hard for her. She didn't understand most of them and she didn't want me to think she didn't like me. Can you imagine that? I told her my questions are not for everyone and lots of people don't like them and it never bothers me. I mean I ask what I want. Folks answer what they want. What could be more perfect than that? So that's two ends of the same stick. I'm in the middle just minding my own business. Know what I mean? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      July 18, 2021 2:09 PM MDT