Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Exoplanets that build their own moons? PDS 70c and PDS 70 b. This matters bigly because?

Exoplanets that build their own moons? PDS 70c and PDS 70 b. This matters bigly because?

Posted - July 23, 2021

Responses

Because it's cool.  It wasn't that long ago when we only theorized that there might be other planets out there (stuff of sci-i books and movies).  Now we've actually found other planets (many of them) 
      July 23, 2021 2:08 PM MDT

It kinda sorta sounds like MAGIC to me Shuhak. How can an inanimate object CREATE anything? Or is the premise of the question incorrect? Are planets animate? I don't get how all that stuff happened in the first place. I agree it's "cool" but isn't also mystical mysterious? Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 24, 2021 2:40 AM MDT

It's not magic, it's God's creation doing what He designed it to do.

Accurately explaining accretion discs, gravitational forces, and planet/moon formation would take pages and pages.   Even then I don't know everything about it. Here's a VERY oversimplified attempt at an explanation -
    Out in space there's gas and dust floating around (we can see some of the dust in things like nebulae and meteor showers).  Add enough gravity (from a star, or a planet), and, over time, that dust and gas will begin to coalesce into small particles.  The more these particles coalesce, the bigger they get.  (kind of like  that very first drop of cold water added to the flour and fat when making pie dough).   As these things grow, they begin to rotate and create their own gravity (the larger an object is, the more gravity it generates).  This gravity attracts even more particles and dust.  And, like a snowball, it gets bigger and bigger and bigger...   until there's no more particles within its gravitational pull.  Think Saturn's rings.  They are made up of fine dust.  Saturn used to have just  1 big ring, however as time went on, tiny moons began to form in those rings.  Once a moon grabbed up all the surrounding dust, it stopped growing and a gap in the large ring formed.

As for animate and inanimate....  would you consider rock to be animate or inanimate?  How about if you melt it and add some, gas, water vapor and pressure?  You now have an erupting volcano .. and it's considered to be animate.  Technically it's still rock, only now it's moving.    
      July 24, 2021 1:38 PM MDT

Thank you for your lengthy and in-depth explanation Shuhak. I appreciate it. But I still believe in MAGIC. GOD WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS HIS WONDERS TO PERFORM. I'm a fan of all of it though I wish I could know what I don't know. Perhaps one day we will know in some other place in time and space. :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 25, 2021 10:37 AM MDT
      July 25, 2021 4:10 AM MDT