Active Now

RebeccaSJ
Spunky
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you able to turn off your mind to give you a break from thinking? Or does your mind have a mind of its own and you're powerless over it?

Are you able to turn off your mind to give you a break from thinking? Or does your mind have a mind of its own and you're powerless over it?

Are you able to slow it down, change its course or are you just along for the ride? It is the driver and you are simply a passenger?

Posted - July 26, 2021

Responses

I can't turn off my mind.  It "runs" at warp speed 24/7; never running out of energy; jumping from subject to subject at will.
      July 26, 2021 11:58 AM MDT

Ditto. Sigh. We are fated to be "on duty" 24/7 I guess. I wonder what causes that Shuhak? Some folks seemingly never "think" at all.  They just dutifully do what they are told and perhaps never worry about anything since their entire lives are based on obedience compliance servitude. I can't imagine living that way and I expect they can't imagine not. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine. I'm going to sound like a broken record so applogies in advance. How is your air? My sister's is still smoky and dangerous to breathe in Carson City, Nevada. I wonder where the wheres are where the air is clear? I'll ask.
      July 27, 2021 3:49 AM MDT

My air is good.  Currently it's cloudy and cool here.  It's 73 F ... at 11 in the morning . at the end of July!  We had light sprinkles from 5 to 6 am.  It wasn't enough to even get the ground we, but the smell was very refreshing.  This weather helped to suppress the fires, so not as much smoke is coming off them.  Unfortunately, this break is brief.  (sigh)  It's supposed to get back to 100 F (or higher) tomorrow through thursday ... with smoke.
      July 27, 2021 11:58 AM MDT

Another respite m'dear. GOOD! Yesterday we got the promised rain but it only lasted a couple of hours. I had hoped for all day long. It helped though of course. Now California is back on a MASK mandate I believe. Not that is going to affect thee or us at all. We always masked. It's just so tragic. What's going on now was predicted. We were WARNED. Didn't matter. Maybe it's just our FATE? Now this surge is affecting the younger folks. The old folks with underlying conditions died first. Now it's time for the younger ones to follow in those footsteps. I wonder how the parents will justify it? DEATHS on their hands? I couldn't live with it. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 27, 2021 2:01 PM MDT
      July 27, 2021 12:04 PM MDT

I  can't stop thinking completely, as is possible with some forms of meditation, but I can relax and think of things that may be important or intersting in their own way, but not vital in my life generally.

Sometimes though I will make a mug of tea or coffee and simply sit quietly in my garden, not really thinking deeply about anything, just watching the birds flit about, or the bees exploring the wild flowers (that others might call 'weeds').
      July 26, 2021 3:23 PM MDT

Other thoughts about unsettling things don't creep in sneak in and spoil the reverie? I can understand how important a setting is...an environment. Now sitting back relaxing with a hot/warm beverage surrounded by the beauty of nature. That would be very helpful indeed to affect ones mood and whole being. But going to bed and lying there trying to rid one's mind of everything but sleeping isn't such an easy task. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Tuesday. Our back yard is made of small pebbles. We have a covered patio with a cement slab. We have a lemon tree and weeds that grow...how I don't know. Next door on our left our neighbor has a large orange tree some of which is on our side and he told us to take whatever oranges from it we can reach. So much for a relaxing garden. A retirement community...not plush or lush by any means.  How would you  describe your garden? :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 28, 2021 2:55 PM MDT
      July 27, 2021 2:30 AM MDT

I try not to let unsettling thoughts come in but they are inevitable sometimes.

My garden is not sure if it's a cultivated garden or a little nature-reserve. I'm not very experienced at gardening but am slowly getting better. I've planted a few beans and lettuces, my small guava bush is covered in developing berries but my gojiberry trees look rather sorry for themselves. They had berries last year but I was not impressed - small fruit with an odd, salty taste. Could be the conditions are not right for them.

Still, I have a little lawn, and a pond I made for the frogs already living in the garden.
      July 28, 2021 3:00 PM MDT

I used to have a backyard decades ago with things that grew due to my efforts. It was so soothing for me to weed and plant and water way back then. I think of that backyard with much fondness. But as we age things change..circumstances change and we have to change with them. It's good to know in these troubling times some of us have a place we can go and just be and appreciate what we see. Shuhak has that where he lives too. Of course with it comes responsibility of maintaining it. You have frogs then? And you created a pond for them? Of course frog makes me think of the adorable muppet KERMIT THE FROG. Thank you for sharing your garden with us m'dear. Happy Thursday to thee and thine Durdle! :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 29, 2021 2:05 AM MDT
      July 29, 2021 2:04 AM MDT