Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Allegedly scientists discover light behind a BLACK HOLE. SO? What would be significant is if they found light INSIDE IT. Right?

Allegedly scientists discover light behind a BLACK HOLE. SO? What would be significant is if they found light INSIDE IT. Right?

Posted - July 29, 2021

Responses

It would be significant if the light is on the other side of the black hole, from us.  (In a straight line.)
    According to what I understand of black holes, we should not be able to see any light from "behind" it ... as the black hole would absorb the light before it was visible to us.

Unless there is something "bending" the light, in such a way that it travels around the black hole.  Like a highway bypass.
      July 29, 2021 7:58 AM MDT

Oh. I didn't get that part of it Walt. Thanks for clarifying it for me. Well I expect more will be written about it. It's quite a big deal right? :)
      July 29, 2021 8:07 AM MDT

A phenomenon called 'gravitational lensing', where light bends around strong gravitational fields, enables us to see 'behind' the black hole, albeit distorted.

July 29, 2021 8:24 AM MDT

That is SPECTACULAR E! I'd like that on a wall. Really! Thank you for your reply and the very nifty picture. WOW. True. Truth is stranger than fiction. Computergraphics can churn up lots of beauteous stuff but you cannot beat nature unadorned! :)
      July 31, 2021 7:15 AM MDT

The black hole itself is probably extremely incandescent but we can't see it by definition: its extraordinarily intense gravity won't let its own light out.
      August 3, 2021 4:25 PM MDT