Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Should we go back to the days when non-violent prisoners should be tasked with cleaning up roadsides?

Should we go back to the days when non-violent prisoners should be tasked with cleaning up roadsides?

That was the norm here decades ago. They could reduce sentences.

Posted - July 31, 2021

Responses

• We still see groups of prisoners cleaning up roads here in VA.  Sometimes they're even wearing their striped uniforms.  
    It's not a bad idea .. but I wonder if there's a security concern with that ... prisoners escaping, etc.  

July 31, 2021 3:51 PM MDT

They stopped it here at least thirty years ago. They even had juvenile detainees cleaning the parks. I saw one of my former students there who told me in class that he made more money than I did selling drugs.
      July 31, 2021 5:04 PM MDT

Prisoners here do that kind of stuff now.  I don't what else they do but I occasionally (not often) see group cleaning roadsides and medians.  There is not so much to clean up like it was many years ago.  People used to treat roadsides like trash cans.....just open the window and toss whatever.  Mother would only let us throw out what was left over from fruit when we were kids.  We had a litter bag that hung on the glove compartment button. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at May 28, 2023 9:55 AM MDT
      August 1, 2021 12:19 PM MDT