Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Watch and pray that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing but the flesh is weak." I disagree. YOU?

"Watch and pray that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing but the flesh is weak." I disagree. YOU?

If the spirit were willing to enter NOT into temptation the body would NOT enter into it.

It is the very fact that the SPIRIT IS UNWILLING that leads to all the ugly evil bad in the world.

Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words.

Do you think evildoers have a spirit WILLING to avoid temptation but it is their flesh that fails them?

I think that is ABSURD! It is the SPIRIT that drives us to do and say or not do and not say. The flesh is simply the packaging people! The spirit is the CONTENT! Those who do not understand that are beyond reach.

Posted - August 1, 2021

Responses

No, I don't disagree with that Scripture (Matthew 26:41) However, I do disagree with your entire analogy. One, because you are adding your own erroneous interpretation to what this Scripture is actually saying. And two,  because you failed to read the entire context in which that verse is found. Had you done so, you would have known what Jesus was actually saying.

Matthew 26:38-44  "Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. 39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. 40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour? 41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. 42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done. 43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy. 44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words". 

In that particular case, Jesus' disciples' spirits were indeed willing but their flesh was indeed weak. They fell asleep instead of keeping watch as Jesus asked them to. The word "watch" in that verse means to be vigilant. They weren't. By the way, Jesus was talking about the human spirit, not the Holy Spirit. When Jesus said their spirits were willing but their flesh was weak, that's exactly what He meant. You may disagree with what Jesus said but Him being God's Son, I tend to agree with Him.
      August 1, 2021 6:05 AM MDT

Perfect.  
    One must always read scripture in context to understand the true meaning. 
    :)
      August 1, 2021 6:27 AM MDT

Thanks. And yes, context is crucial.
      August 2, 2021 1:24 AM MDT