Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Do you prepare food to be served to mourners after a funeral service?

Do you prepare food to be served to mourners after a funeral service?

I have attended over a dozen funerals during my lifetime of 70 years. Perhaps due to cultural or regional customs (I live in San Francisco, California), food was never served to mourners after the funeral service in the homes of relatives or friends of the deceased. Instead, relatives or friends of the deceased always host a restaurant meal for the mourners after the funeral service.

In all the funerals that I've attended, there was an average of 50 mourners.  Insufficient space in people's home to accommodate an average of 50 mourners is also a consideration for relatives or friends of the decease to host a restaurant meal.  

Posted - August 2, 2021

Responses

I personally would not prepare food, but the last two I attended (My wife's brothers) food was prepared and served via pot-luck. One was in a rented hall and another at a private residence.
      August 2, 2021 11:11 AM MDT

• We have normally gone out for a meal after funeral services.  That way, no one has to be burdened with worrying about preparing food at such a sad time.
      August 2, 2021 12:53 PM MDT

I've personally seen a variety of ways.
    Food not served, at all.
    Pot Luck brought to the family of the deceased.
    Pot Luck at a banquet hall, for family and friends who attended the service.
    Reserving a banquet hall with catering.
      August 2, 2021 1:11 PM MDT

Generally, after the funerals I've attended, the mourners go to a restaurant or a diner for a meal.
      August 2, 2021 2:10 PM MDT

In the family I use to have, we all would travel back to the home of the family with all the free food. However, I won't be doing that anymore and will be going straight home after any funeral.
      August 2, 2021 3:12 PM MDT

I want something unusual like "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. I have passed from this life to the next and now I know the big secret."  (to be cont...)

If any food is served it will be Ice Cream after the service.  (if there is a service) 
    This post was edited by Honey Dew at August 3, 2021 9:32 AM MDT
      August 2, 2021 4:04 PM MDT

I have gone to the family home and also to a restaurant, but most commonly, the church where the service was held has catered a light meal in the church community room.
      August 2, 2021 4:35 PM MDT

I brought a funeral pie to a wake.
      August 2, 2021 5:09 PM MDT