Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why do some folks keep diaries to document their lives in real time? What do they plan to do with them?

Why do some folks keep diaries to document their lives in real time? What do they plan to do with them?

Posted - August 6, 2021

Responses

I'm not sure what started it.
    Probably a desire to be able and look back and remember times/events they don't want to forget.

It is interesting to actually read what "common people" thought about world events they were living through.

I once read a book written by a guy who went to the gold fields in Alaska.
    He had lived in the logging camps around Astoria, OR ... then went to Portland to get supplies for his venture to Alaska.
    Not only was it an interesting read, but I learned things I didn't know - such as more people were "shanghai'd" from logging camps and farms, than from bars and brothels.  That's the main reason loggers carried firearms, rather than for protection from animals.
    Unfortunately, I no longer have that book - because I found out that the author was an ancestor of a coworker, and the family had lost track of him after he left on the voyage to Alaska.  Since the book detailed his life after they lost track of him, it gave them a "closure".

Of course, what I don't understand about diaries ... is why anyone would write down any crimes they commit.
    How many politicians, celebrities, and mafioso have been convicted due to that idiocy?
      August 6, 2021 7:50 AM MDT

I actually tried to do it Walt. About 40 years ago. My son was 15 at the time and I thought I should put stuff down in writing about our lives so he'd have something tangible. I tried. Honest I did. I did it for about a week. I was SO BORED you can't believe it. I just tore it up and threw it away. I just don't have the character temperament or patience to do it. Actually though it's what I do here every day in way. Write down what I'm thinking or what I experienced. Now I do it just to get it off my chest but the potential of having someone reply is very alluring to me. Also once done I move on and only go back if I get a hit. I never return to the scene of my "crimes" otherwise. Some folks start doing it in high school I think. I'm not cut from that kind of cloth. As far as reading historical diaries I find them to be fascinating. With regard to your point about writing down crimes? Folks these days POST THEM on an internet social site. THEY TAKE SELFIES of themselves committing the crimes then use it as a forum to talk about to applause priase OOOHS and AHHHS. The January 6 rioters? Typical STUPID DUMBS BRAGGED on internet social sites and provided proof! WHY? Well I keep saying there are millions and millions of stupid dumbs in the world. They come in different sizes and flavors and interests. They want attention. They want BRAVOS and accolades. They get a lot of them from their own ilk which is all they are going for. Thank you for your reply! This post was edited by RosieG at August 6, 2021 9:59 AM MDT
      August 6, 2021 8:00 AM MDT

• I've been keeping a diary since I was 13 years old.  I record things and experiences that has happened to me throughout my life.  I don't do anything with my diaries, but I sometimes read what I wrote in my diaries when I was a teenager and a young adult.  
      August 6, 2021 7:50 AM MDT

Fast forward. What do you intend to do with them at the end of your life? Are they only for you or would you like others to read them too? There is a purpose to everything we do isn't there? What was your purpose m'dear? Inquiring minds would very much like to know! Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee and thine RJ! :)
      August 6, 2021 11:30 AM MDT

• I've advised the executor of my estate to dump the diaries when I am dead.  
      August 6, 2021 4:36 PM MDT

Oh m'dear really? I don't  know you but it saddens me because those diaries are so much a part of you that surely someone in your family would value them. Unless of course there are things only for your eyes that you don't want known to others. But still it seems such a shame. Of course they are yours to do with as you wish. Thank you for your reply RJ and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      August 7, 2021 4:06 AM MDT

• What I've written in diaries is generally only for my eyes.  As such, the diaries will be dumped when I'm dead. 
      August 7, 2021 7:26 AM MDT

I understand. I've had thoughts that if written down would pain others to read. They were not my best thoughts of course. For my eyes only. Thank you for your reply RJ and the clarifcation. I appreciate it! :)
      August 7, 2021 7:56 AM MDT

In a way, I wish I had kept journals. 
      August 6, 2021 8:00 AM MDT

I tried BB. I really did. When my son was 12 (he is now 55) I thought I should keep some kind of record of our lives. I lasted ONE WEEK and was so bored I quit. I also tore up and threw away every bit of it. I don't regret having done that. It would have been artificial. Just another CHORE to to. A TASK a JOB a BURDEN. I can't do what I don't enjoy doing. I expect I should have enjoyed doing it for my son but I didn't. I thought decades and decades of doing that would drive me BONKERS. So I stopped. Thank you for your reply!:)
      August 6, 2021 11:34 AM MDT

I never did that. Here's a funny story, though. When the great Yogi Berra was asked if he was going to read his biography, he said "Why...I was there?"
      August 6, 2021 10:01 AM MDT

Yes I giggled as you probably figured I would. That guy was an original real deal human being. Nothing fakely phony about him. What occurred to him he blurted out. Bless his heart! UNIQUE without ever once trying to be. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      August 6, 2021 11:37 AM MDT