Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Once upon a time Unions were held in high esteem and did a lot of good for its members. Now not so much esteem. What happened?

Once upon a time Unions were held in high esteem and did a lot of good for its members. Now not so much esteem. What happened?

Do the workers no longer care about living better lives? Do they cleave unto their powerful obscenely wealthy political "leaders" more than they cleave unto the betterment of their lives and those of the children?

CONSUMER PROTECTION AGENCY. For the people. Guess who is unfor such an agency? The POWERFUL OBSCENELY WEALTHY OWNERS AND MOVERS AND SHAKERS.

It's understandable that the big shot rot gots are anti. But those who benefit from what unions have done are against them too? What manner of brainwashing is this? That assumes they have brains of course which is doubtful.

The way of the hula hoop beanie baby? A fad that's over and done? ALL for the owners. NOTHING for the workers? Sure. Why not. What could it hurt?

Posted - August 6, 2021

Responses

Unions suck!  They care more about lining their pockets than the welfare of their members.   Sure, they preach solidarity, but when push comes to shove it's, "see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya".
      August 6, 2021 12:57 PM MDT

Didn't unions create child labor laws? Didn't they reduce the work week? Haven't they increased benefits for employees? Didn't they do more good than bad? I mean kids used to work tons of hours. Workers now get insurance coverage and vacation pay and sick pay maybe and profit sharing or pensions. What employer would have done all of that willingly? I'm just sayin' that's been my take on it. I KNOW rich people hate them very bigly but rich people hate anything that costs them money and benefits others. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      August 6, 2021 1:33 PM MDT

A long time ago, maybe.  But anymore it's just about money.  I think I've told you before about the union I used to belong to.  The leaders grew richer and richer while ignoring their members.  They went through union reps like toilet paper.  After a while we didn't even have a union rep.
      August 6, 2021 2:48 PM MDT

You may have told me Shuhak but I don't remember. I never belonged to a union DIRECTLY. But when I worked for Southern California Gas Company many moons ago the office workers didn't belong to the union BUT WE GOT THE BENEFITS THEY DID. Now I was 21  so that was way way way long ago and I don't know if that's the case now. I always thought that was a very cool thing. We didn't pay union dues but we got their benefits. Well now that is what we were told. I don't KNOW THAT for a fact. But I kinda think it was true.  That was around 1958! Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 7, 2021 4:43 AM MDT

I paid dues, and they keep going up.  They said it was to help offset the "perks" we got (the company paid the rest)  However, those "perks" got less and less and less each contract (every 3 years).  Meanwhile the union "boss" had numerous yachts, houses, and cars.  When he retired, he fixed it so that the reigns went to his son.  The union kept merging with (swallowing up) other unions .. and always came out on top.  And the new union boss became richer.
      August 7, 2021 10:47 AM MDT

That's GROTESQUE. I wonder if that is the nature of all things. They start out meaning well and do good and over time they become greedy shady crappy selfish? I shall ask. Thank you for your informative reply Shuhak. Bad experience. I wish you didn't have it.
      August 7, 2021 11:06 AM MDT