Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The town of GREENVILLE, California no longer exists. It was burned to a crisp. Is it okay to say R.I.P. to a town that died?

The town of GREENVILLE, California no longer exists. It was burned to a crisp. Is it okay to say R.I.P. to a town that died?

Posted - August 6, 2021

Responses

They'll probably try to rebuild it.. once the mole settles and the insurance companies pony up.  Of course, most people don't have fire insurance as few companies will sell a policy in CAlifornia... and the one or 2 that do have astronomical premiums (including the state run insurance).    Insurance is fast becoming a luxury that few can afford (and you thought rent prices were bad).
      August 6, 2021 1:35 PM MDT

SIGH. Condolences to all those whose lives are upended, treasures are lost and so are lives. What solution if any do you see futurely Shuhak? Should people simply give up living surrounded by beauty and live where nothing grows on flat land surrounded by more flat land? People who are flooded out rebuild. People who are hurricaned out or tornadoed rebuild. They don't leave. They rebuild in the same place where the dangers always exist. Beachlivers rebuild after TSUNAMIS. Nature is talking and few are listening. And so it goes. So far you are okay BUT you can't breathe the air, you're stuck inside sealed in. STAY SAFE. Those two words we say but is it possible? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to you and your family m'dear!
      August 7, 2021 3:02 AM MDT

No matter where one goes on earth there's always the danger that nature will wipe them out (fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, heat, floods, drought, avalanches).  Why would anyone want to live in the midwest where tornadoes rip through each year?  Why would anyone want to live along the gulf coast where hurricanes ravage the area each year.  Why would anyone want to live in California where earthquakes happen almost daily?  Why live in north dakota where in winter 0 F is considered warm?  Or in arizona where for 5-6 months a year the average daily temperature is 100?  Or the pacific northwest where there are more cloudy days than not?  Or the northeast where they are hammered by noreasters and heavy snow?  Or in Alaska where it's night for half the year?

We had an AQi reading of 472 last night.  Thankfully it's down to 206 today.

This post was edited by Shuhak at August 23, 2021 3:39 AM MDT
      August 7, 2021 11:16 AM MDT

When you put that way Shuhak it's really depressing isn't it? Maybe should exit the planet for places unknown? Like where? Maybe the holodeck on Star Trek? Or remember that Bar Scene in Star Wars? Or a TV show or a movie or a book or a play? Providing you could come back to where you are wouldja? Where? I shall ask. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      August 23, 2021 3:43 AM MDT

I'd have thought they'd rebuild it unless there are overwhelming reasons not to. Whether all its former residents will move back is another matter though.

It's a dreadful situation, and Turkey, Greece and parts of Siberia are suffering from major forest-fires too.
      August 7, 2021 1:00 AM MDT

I know Durdle. I think someone wrote a book titled "THE FIRE NEXT TIME". Allegedly GOD promised not to flood us to death ever again. So I expect "THE FIRE NEXT TIME" means we will be burned to death. I don't KNOW that but I'm sure assuming that. I didn't read the book so I really don't have a clue what it alludes to. The fires in California are devasting. In northern Nevada and Oregon and I tnink in Canada. Maybe the better question to ask is "what isn't burning"? Are we doomed to live on flat land surround by flat land? Not near a body of water. Not within view of the ocean. Inland. Flatland. Nothing can burn or flood. I don't know what keeps people rebuilding on the same spot where they were burned out or flooded out or hurricaned out. Maybe they think it will never happen again. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      August 7, 2021 3:26 AM MDT

The town of Paradise, California also burned to the ground. 

What people fail to understand is that forest fires has been a thing on this planet ever since there has been vegetation that can burn, and it will continue long after humans are gone. With more and more people moving and living in these areas, they will encounter more of the fires. Forest fires is natures way of rejuvenating life and growth on this land all over the world. It's the same as people moving to the east and west coast, the gulf coast and living near the oceans and whining, crying, and sniveling when hurricanes bring death and destruction to those areas. They knew the risks, and choose to ignore them. 
    So, is it okay to say R.I.P. to a town that died? Of course it is. Did the people learn? You would hope so, for their sake.  
      August 7, 2021 1:34 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Wolfhound and Happy Saturday to you.
      August 7, 2021 2:55 AM MDT

You're welcome RosieG, and a great weekend to you and yours.
      August 7, 2021 4:14 PM MDT

Thank you Wolfhound and Happy Sunday to you and yours! :)
      August 8, 2021 2:00 AM MDT