Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » What causes rigor mortis to happen and what causes it to then dissipate?

What causes rigor mortis to happen and what causes it to then dissipate?

Posted - October 30, 2016

Responses

• I do believe the underlying cause is a cessation of life ... I could be wrong though ...
      October 30, 2016 4:21 PM MDT

The reason you believe that?  Is because Answer Mug has dumbed me down.

I cannot go in and edit my question despite the RENAME prompt because like everything else on here FOR ME.  

You see, besides the questions, Answer Mug does not work for my computer any more.  OF COURSE. 

I wanted to edit this question and include  (after death of course) in the middle of that query.   I am resilient.  I will survive this. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 30, 2016 4:34 PM MDT
      October 30, 2016 4:32 PM MDT

• Ummm, wouldn't the addition of the words after death be Tautological?
      October 30, 2016 4:34 PM MDT

They would be by way of further explanation.   As in :

What causes rigor mortis to happen (after death, of course).   yadda yadda

See?
      October 30, 2016 4:36 PM MDT

• I'm at my pedantic best in the morning :)
      October 30, 2016 4:39 PM MDT

• Calcium cause the muscle fibers to contract and they don't release until acetylcholine dissipates from the contracted muscle.
      October 30, 2016 4:22 PM MDT

Gils.  Oh yeah!  I remember this now.  This actually makes sense to me.  The gateways and the sarcomeres and stuff.  Right?

sarcomere - a structural unit of a myofibril in striated muscle, consisting of a dark band and the nearer half of each adjacent pale band.   I had to cram this junk about 2 months ago and I barely recall it today.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 30, 2016 4:30 PM MDT
      October 30, 2016 4:28 PM MDT

• Yeah,  Calcium ions are left unchecked and cross into the cell membranes more readily and it signals the muscle fibers to constrict.  I can't remember the exact names of the fibers, but it's not that important.  The muscles stay constricted due to actylcholine and ATP presence.  Once the actylcholine breaks down  the ATP helps break the calcium ion channel and the muscles relax.  It starts from the top to bottom too.
      October 30, 2016 4:35 PM MDT

Thank you.  That helps.  I need to be able to speak this, not just memorize an answer.  It helps to read your take and it may sink in better for the second hearing. 

Maybe we can do a poem about it or rap it some day
      October 30, 2016 4:37 PM MDT