Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Almost 8 BILLION homo saps alive today? How many would there be had there NEVER BEEN VACCINES OR MEDS TO MITIGATE DISEASE?

Almost 8 BILLION homo saps alive today? How many would there be had there NEVER BEEN VACCINES OR MEDS TO MITIGATE DISEASE?

Your best guess. Just ballpark it.

Posted - August 10, 2021

Responses

Let's see ... it's estimated that the Bubonic Plague killed 1/3 of the global population, at that time.

Vaccines have basically eliminated that, as well as smallpox, malaria, and influenza.
    Without those vaccines ... and improved sanitary conditions in cities ... I'd estimate there would be only around 1 billion people. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at August 10, 2021 1:08 PM MDT
      August 10, 2021 10:20 AM MDT

Despite the impossibility of the question you were game enough to take it seriously and think about a response! One of your many POSITIVIE attributes m'dear which offsets your Devil's Advocating on occasion. Just thought I'd toss that in for the heck of it!  So about a billion? Okay. If there were only a billion of us would the earth have been much better off? The fewer the homo saps to crap it up the cleaner and clearer and healthier things would be.

SO. Would we be facing this crisis now if there had been MANY FEWER OF US? Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      August 10, 2021 1:13 PM MDT

The planet might actually be worse off, in my scenario.
    Especially if we were stuck at the early stages of the Industrial Revolution.
    Lack of sanitation would include waste-treatment facilities.
    Far more use of coal-fired power, and clear-cutting forests for building and steam-power.

August 10, 2021 1:51 PM MDT

So what you are saying in a gentle way is we are screwed either way? It seems to me to be already TOO LATE to change the tide in any significant way...so to speak. And it isn't as if EVERYONE IS ON THE SAME PAGE WITH THE SAME GOALS. We are still working at odds aren't we? Some places took going green VERY SERIOUSLY while others just played at it. The players will not fare well but maybe even the serious folks won't either. I know this is a ridiculous question but here goes anyway. WHERE IS THE SAFEST PLACE TO LIVE IN THE WORLD? Too big a question? Thank you for your reply Walt! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 10, 2021 1:56 PM MDT
      August 10, 2021 1:55 PM MDT

Reminds me of a news story I heard the other day.
    Climate Change is threatening the Emperor Penguins' habitat.
    The US is talking about making them an Endangered Species.
    Except, you know, it's virtually impossible to get to their native habitat.
    So will the US push change to slow Climate Change?  Probably not.
    Just another instance of "feel good" legislation that has no real effect.

August 10, 2021 2:14 PM MDT

Aren't we being squished by the avalanche already Walt? It's slow-moving as avalanches go but won't it bury us? Worrying about a species at this late date? We're on the edge of calamitous disaster and we still have the tail lure and the matt getz and the GUANO and all the GUANOHEADS seeking power power power power power. What is the matter with them? The house is burning down around them and they keep throwing logs on it and gasoline. Is it is pure evil or plain STUPIDITY? Or both? Is evil smart or stupid? What could it hurt to ask? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 11, 2021 4:52 AM MDT