Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » SHOCKING! ASTONISHING! SURPRISING! Oregon guv ENDS READING AND MATH PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION! Dumbing down for what reason?

SHOCKING! ASTONISHING! SURPRISING! Oregon guv ENDS READING AND MATH PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION! Dumbing down for what reason?

Posted - August 11, 2021

Responses

So colleges can get more money from students who have to take remedial courses, to get them up to college-level math/reading skills?

• It is an extension of a suspension put in place during the coronavirus pandemic
    • Proponents argue that ending the requirements will help disadvantaged students who have historically tested poorly
    • A spokesman for Brown said the suspension will benefit 'Oregon’s black, Latino, Latina, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of color' 
    So they "test poorly".
    How is that going to play out, when they have to take tests for college entrance or employment?
    Shouldn't they be taught how to take tests, rather than "Oh, they're bad at testing, so let's not do testing anymore" ?

'Leaders from those communities have advocated time and again for equitable graduation standards, along with expanded learning opportunities and supports,' Boyle said. 

If everybody has to meet the same standards, that IS equitable.
      August 11, 2021 1:00 PM MDT

It just gobstomped me Walt. Like instead of working to meet the standards they eliminate them. Maybe the long game goal is going to be helped by this. I don't know. I'm not an educator. Thank you for your reply and the quotes. It just doesn't feel right to me. Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :)
      August 12, 2021 2:40 AM MDT