Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Old is usually less valuable than new. Only not always. Cars for example can be worth far more when old than when they were young. WHY?

Old is usually less valuable than new. Only not always. Cars for example can be worth far more when old than when they were young. WHY?

What is it the causes some cars to INCREASE in value over time while most decrease in value?

It is SNOB APPEAL or something more?

Posted - August 12, 2021

Responses

It's not age ... it's availability and condition.
    That's why not all old trading cards or comics are worth lots of money.
      August 12, 2021 9:25 AM MDT

But what determines which cards/comics are of value and which are worthless Walt? What makes some old cars extremely valuable and others just transportation? What makes a car a CLASSIC? What old car would you pay infinite sums for if you had the money available? Why? It's very confusing to a person who is ignorant about stuff like that.  Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 12, 2021 11:21 AM MDT

Trading cards and comics actually have official "grades", which are used to determine what condition they are in.
    The better condition - the higher value.

The rarity of an item also affects it's value.
    That's why new-off-the-press comics, though in pristine condition, aren't worth as much as a 1-of-a-kind comic in lower condition.

The same is true for cars.
    If you have an old VW 23-window van ... those are extremely rare.
    Even a rusting hulk of one is worth considerable money.  But it's nowhere near the value of a fully-restored model.
      August 12, 2021 11:27 AM MDT

So this is when a crystal ball would have come in handy. Seeing into the future about what might have been considered "junk" but would be worth a fortune? OY VEY! Did you ever have a collection you let go of and wish you hadn't? Gosh I used to read comic books and then I THREW THEM AWAY! Maybe if I hadn't I'd be a millionaire today? Again. OY VEY! Thank you for your informative reply Walt.  Are you currently sitting on any "treasures". Too soon old too late schmart! If you had the bucks (perhaps you do) what would you collect the best of today? This post was edited by RosieG at August 12, 2021 1:27 PM MDT
      August 12, 2021 11:35 AM MDT

Nope.  I don't have any collections, per se.  I may have a couple things I am holding on to, that may be worth something more than face value ... but it's not because I'm planning on using them as an investment.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to collect comics. 
    I wouldn't be able to resist reading them, and wouldn't be able to keep them in those protective sleeves. 

My brother has a couple special edition comic series.
    He has 2 of each issue ... 1 to read, and 1 that is never taken out of the wrapper.  

I have a friend who has a bunch of Barbie dolls, never taken out of their original boxes.
    She thinks they are worth money ... but they were common when she got them as a little girl.  Not even any special edition Barbies.
    So it's unlikely they will be as much as she thinks.
      August 12, 2021 1:44 PM MDT

I wonder how many folks got on the BEANIE BABY BANDWAGON? I worked with a gal who went out of her way to buy them. What she eventually did with them I don't know. I have never once thought of collecting anything for the money they might be worth futurely. I think collecting unicorns is my only serious collection and that's for ME because I adore them and have lots I bought and lots I got as gifts. Would I sell them for money? I can't think of why I would. I'm not a collector of money so what would I get out of it other than the loss of something I love? That makes no sense to me. Now after I'm gone what others do will be out of my control. But while I have it I'm keeping all my treasures. No one could possibly value them as much as I do. It would be like turning over your children to strangers. How would they be treated? Nope. I can't do it. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      August 13, 2021 3:04 AM MDT