Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you familiar with that Chinese proverb that says you are responsible for any life you save? So we are now responsible for AFGHANISTAN?

Are you familiar with that Chinese proverb that says you are responsible for any life you save? So we are now responsible for AFGHANISTAN?

This is fair and just because the CHINESE said so a bazillion centuries ago?

Posted - August 13, 2021

Responses

I have been unable to verify the alleged proverb as a genuine Chinese proverb.
    I found the following discussion:

- - - - Start of extract: - - - -

Ookseer at 9:29 PM on June 7, 2010:
    This isn't a proverb, this is a MacGuffin [
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin
    ] that dates back to early adventure writing, and cliffhanger radio and film. [...]

eye of newt at 10:25 PM on June 7, 2010:
    From the television show Kung Fu with David Carradine.
    This was in 1975, so it is truly an ancient philosophy. (Just kidding--I'm not sure whether or not they actually got this from some old Chinese proverb or just made it up because it sounds good).

applesurf at 1:29 AM on June 8, 2010:
    As a side note, there's the proverb "救人一命勝造七級浮屠"; saving a life is better than building a seven-storery pagoda. Pagodas are typically built for religious or ritual purposes; it's like donating money to build a church, in western context.

Extract source:
    https://ask.metafilter.com/156100/According-to-the-Chinese-when-you-save-someones-life

- - - - End of extract - - - -

EDIT:

I appear to have found the original source for, as I assume, the above fictional Chinese proverb; it is part of the script for a movie:
    - - - - Start of extract: - - - -

Vertigo is a 1958 film about a San Francisco detective and his psychological troubles with a fear of heights and an obsession over a woman.

Lines for Detective John 'Scottie' Ferguson played by Jimmy Stewart.

[Under heading:] Dialogue

"Madeleine:
    Why did you run?

Scottie [Character: Detective John 'Scottie' Ferguson]:
    Well, I'm responsible for you now. You know, the Chinese say that once you've saved a person's life, you're responsible for it forever. So, I'm committed. I have to know.

Madeleine
    :
    There's so little that I know.

Extract source:
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Vertigo

- - - - End of extract - - - -

If the reader hasn't had enough, then there is always this, as well !:
    https://www.magicalquote.com/moviequotes/know-chinese-say-youve-saved/

- - - - End of Edit - - - -

This post was edited by Robert at August 14, 2021 1:29 PM MDT
      August 13, 2021 1:21 PM MDT

I always wondered if that was really a thing.

After all, it would be the exact opposite of most cultures with a tradition of "life debt" ... if you save someone's life, they owe you a debt for life.

And if that Chinese philosophy were real ... why would any Chinese save a life?
    I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone for the rest of my life, just because I saved their life.
    It seems more a punishment, than a reward, for saving someone's life.
      August 13, 2021 2:02 PM MDT

That's one thing I never wondered about Walt. I just sort of accepted it but I have never researched it. Now to answer your question. If you saw someone in dire straits wouldn't you help him/her if you could? Would you just walk on by, turn your head, pretend you never saw it? I expect during such a time the last thing on your mind would be "what comes after". You'd be all about the situation at hand and present. Of course I don't and can't know that for a fact. Thank you for your reply. I guess I'm a gonna GOOGLE it! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 17, 2021 5:56 AM MDT
      August 14, 2021 3:09 AM MDT

Please see the Edit which I have added to my post above. This post was edited by Robert at August 14, 2021 2:31 PM MDT
      August 14, 2021 1:25 PM MDT

If I was taught that I was responsible for the person after I saved their life ... I would be more likely to consider before acting.
    Would I want to be responsible for that person's actions? 
    I mean, what if I knew they were a jerk or abusive? 
    I'd have to consider whether or not I thought they would change, due to their near-death experience.

Unless the philosophy also means they would have to obey me, and I could order them to change their ways.
      August 16, 2021 10:14 AM MDT

This is the thought that occurs to me Walt. I don't know if it is really applicable but you decide.

You adopt a child. You have no idea who the parents were. You are given information but very guarded and limited. You're taking a chance with an unknown quantity. Well when you save a life you are taking a chance that the life was WORTH saving. You can't know that until after the fact. Having saved a life which I have never done I think there would be some residual interest in how that person is doing? How that person "turns out". Maybe we stay in touch just to help out if needed? I don't know how that would feel since I've never been there. But there's got to be some feeling from the saver for the saved. Does that make any sense? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 17, 2021 5:55 AM MDT