Active Now

DannyPetti
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why did other countries join the war in Afghanistan? Did all of them stay for 20 years, have casualties and injured. Any regrets?

Why did other countries join the war in Afghanistan? Did all of them stay for 20 years, have casualties and injured. Any regrets?

Posted - August 16, 2021

Responses

I don't know about others' contributions but the United Kingdom was there too, all long, as a NATO ally.
      August 16, 2021 4:48 PM MDT

So when countries are allies one's war is everyone's war? How many lives did your country lose and how much did it cost you? SIGH. Thank you for your reply. I wonder did the US consult with all its allies who were there and was that decision mutual? Thank you for your reply Durdle! :)  i shall ask.
      August 17, 2021 1:47 AM MDT

Well, allies are supposed to help each other.

I don't know the number of British soldiers who died in Afghanistan, but there is also a large number who were maimed by land mines.

From what I've pieced together from the News, the original decision to leave the country was made  by President Obama but I don't know what if any discussions he had with NATO or the Afghans.

President Trump made a prisoner release deal with the Taliban, but without consulting the Afghan government. He also set this year for withdrawal.

President Biden followed that policy but he too did not talk to anyone else involved.
      August 17, 2021 3:39 PM MDT

I think all the Allies should have gotten together and JOINTLY made the decision. I mean they JOINTLY fought and died so why the unilateral end? Well I will never be suitable material for the military. Ever. Thank you for your reply Durdle. I wonder when WW3 will hit? :(
      August 18, 2021 2:39 AM MDT

I agree entirely, and the whole affair has been one awful mess by both the USA and the UK.

Our Parliament was recalled from recess to debate it, and Boris Johnson was roundly criticised from both sides of the House of Commons. I think the MPs accepted Britain could not act alone, nor rally support from other NATO countries, but what really annoyed everyone was the utter lack of any understanding of the situation and in Britain at least, lack of any prior planning for the withdrawal.

Some of the most measured but hardest criticism was from MPs on both the Government and Opposition sides, who had served as soldiers in Afghanistan before becoming members of Parliament (after their military time was up).

It seems no-one learns anything from experience. We go into one or another nasty situation with the best of intentions to try to solve a set problem, but without thinking very hard about the real nature of the problem, how to leave at the end of the mission, and what happens afterwards.
      August 18, 2021 4:20 PM MDT

Very nicely and aptly put Durdle and HOW SAD IS THAT? "Learn from experience". Yeah. Right. Well it's a swell theory but when do we put it to use? Inherent defect in homo saps that prevent it? You know to be fair maybe it's comparable to my knowing I am impatient, realize it is not an asset, try to temper it down but always in the throes of something I forget and become my usual impatient self. Knowing better isn't enough to actually DO BETTER when the chips are down. We just revert to type.  I don't much like typing what I just did but maybe that's the bitter truth. We will never change. SIGH. Me too neither. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Durdle. So we keep doing what doesn't work because we can't help it?
      August 19, 2021 2:28 AM MDT