Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Was what is happening in Afhanistan right now always going to be unavoidable? How would YOU have pulled out and when?

Was what is happening in Afhanistan right now always going to be unavoidable? How would YOU have pulled out and when?

Posted - August 16, 2021

Responses

I wouldn't have invaded, in the first place.
    If there are terrorist training camps ... hit and git.
    I remembered the Soviets invading ... and having to pull out.

August 16, 2021 1:58 PM MDT

I think some people are simply not warriors. Afghans must be like that. After 20 years of training and fighting side by side with troops from many countries they weren't able to defend their country. Why is that? I shall ask of course. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      August 17, 2021 4:24 AM MDT

If it was true they weren't warriors, there wouldn't be a Taliban.
    I would compare Afghanistan with African nations who are divided among tribal lines.
    Even though they have cities, they still think along the lines of tribal boundaries rather than national.
    That puts them at a disadvantage, when faced with any oppressor who thinks in a unified manner - regardless of the cause.
      August 17, 2021 6:50 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply.
      August 17, 2021 6:56 AM MDT

Yes, it was unavoidable.  
      August 16, 2021 2:17 PM MDT

Did we know that at the time? Thank you for your reply Shuhak.
      August 17, 2021 4:03 AM MDT

They screwed the pooch on this one by invading in the first place! Nevertheless, it was unavoidable since the Afgan military wasn't willing to fight for themselves. I guess they thought our men would be willing to fight for them and die forever.
      August 16, 2021 2:28 PM MDT

Yeah. After that first big mistake it went downhill from there. I wonder if any other country has "stayed so long at the fair" as we have in Afghanistan? I'll ask. Thank you for your reply Zack. I wonder if there is any standardly "appropriate" amount of time we stay when we invade a country? I'll ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      August 17, 2021 3:59 AM MDT