Active Now

DannyPetti
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Driverless cars. DRIVERLESS TRUCKS. Allegedly 70% of goods are moved across the country by truck. How many truckdrivers will lose jobs?

Driverless cars. DRIVERLESS TRUCKS. Allegedly 70% of goods are moved across the country by truck. How many truckdrivers will lose jobs?

Posted - August 17, 2021

Responses

Let's hope all the stupid ones do!  -

(like the ones who ride their brakes until they catch fire - which then spreads to the surrounding terrain)

August 17, 2021 12:05 PM MDT

You know Shuhak both of Jim's sons were long-haul drivers for years. It's a really hard job. You have paperwork up the kazoo and you have rules of the road vis a vis breaks and lunch and you still have to meet DEADLINES getting product to the customer. Of course there are some stupid ones among them. But being a GOOD long-haul truck driver is a very hard thing to be for a long time. David was until he passed away in 2019. Gary now works for WASTE MANAGEMENT in northern Nevada so he is home every night! Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 18, 2021 12:59 PM MDT

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good truck drivers out there.  But there're a few who aren't, and they give the rest of them a bad name.

Almost every day some truck driver on I-80 sets their truck on fire or causes a fire by riding their brakes down the grade.  They've resorted to roadblocks to stop this given the astronomical fire danger.  I know these folks face near impossible deadlines, paperwork up the ying-yang, and mandatory break/rest periods that rarely coincide with a fuel depot.  It's the few idiots who try to get around the rules that are the problem.  
      August 18, 2021 1:11 PM MDT

That's the way THAT cookie crumbles all the time. The horrible few give the rest of them a very bad name! Riding their brakes down the grade? I KNOW BETTER THAN THAT! Also the cops are always on their tails to make sure they don't cheat and park where they aren't supposed to park. But they have to get off the road at specific times. What are they supposed to do? Wiggle their noses? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 18, 2021 1:25 PM MDT

My husband runs a small trucking company (four trucks), and if one of our drivers did that, he’d get canned right away.  He’d have to park the truck at the nearest truck stop, get a rental car, clean out his truck and go home.  The dynamic brakes on our trucks hold the truck’s speed going downhill when they’re fully loaded.  The driver doesn’t need to use the foot brake at all on our trucks if he’s coming down I-80 above Sacramento, or if he’s coming down any other long grade.
      August 19, 2021 9:54 PM MDT