Active Now

DannyPetti
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » EVeryone has a JUNK DRAWER, right? WHAT IF the Universe had a junk drawer from when time began? What do you think we'd find inside?

EVeryone has a JUNK DRAWER, right? WHAT IF the Universe had a junk drawer from when time began? What do you think we'd find inside?

Posted - August 18, 2021

Responses

You do come up with some fun questions!

Well, if what we can actually observe is anything to go by, the drawer would be full of lumps of rock and a heck of a lot of dust!

I don't know what's in inter-galactic Space, but that within some galaxies is right messy, with great clouds of dust and gas floating about. It's extremely diffuse of course but over the vast volumes it occupies it shows up in telescopes.

Or there might be odd shells or bones of things that evolved briefly but never really succeeded. You may know the Jurassic fossils called "Ammonites", squid-like sea-creatures that lived in beautiful coiled shells similar to their Nautilus cousins whose descendent, the Pearly Nautilus, is still with us. Those evolved so rapidly into varied but fairly short-term species for reasons I don't think are understood, that geologists use their distinctively different forms as "zone fossils" to help correlate beds of rock that may be thousands of miles apart.  

Tangled up with them in the Universal Junk Drawer might be bits of some peculiar rock found on one planet but nowhere else by a chance of local chemistry.

Or (well, we know it has to be a very big drawer), the odd, faded star-core with some strange characteristic such as made of just one element; or an embryo planet that could not find enough material to be more than a sort of lonely little medicine-ball of a thing, forlornly still orbiting some ancient, long-dead, small star. 

Rattling around among that natural debris might even be strange bits of rubbish from some long-lost people somewhere, who had a messy habit of sticking bits of metal together and throwing them into Space or dumping them on other planets for long-lost reasons of their own.

August 18, 2021 4:47 PM MDT

Thank you for the kind words Durdle but I can't take any credit for them. I never try to think up questions. Ever. They just bombard my brain in droves and if I don't ask them they will badger me. I'm serious. I don't know where they come from I just have to accept them and release them. Sometimes I cannot turn off that brain that questions questions questions questions. I stopped trying to figger it out years ago. I just go with the flow. Now I have read some huge percentage of what used to exist became extinct...Something 90% or more of species that were here are gone. I'm thinking that's where they'd be don't you? In the Universal Junk Drawer? So that would be a lot of stuff and take up a lot of room but my goodness the vastness of "out there" is surely room enough to accommodate it? Thank you for your thoughtful reply m'dear. I wonder? How much fun it would be to meander inside to see what/who used to be? I shall ask. Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 22, 2021 4:02 PM MDT
      August 19, 2021 2:04 AM MDT

Congress!
      August 18, 2021 4:52 PM MDT

The unicorns tickets to get on the ark. They stuck them in the junk drawer when they got them and forgot about them and that is why you don't see any unicorns these days. Cheers!
      August 18, 2021 5:05 PM MDT

Oh m'dear you DO KNOW I have collected Unicorns since I was 16 right? In fact on another social site, Answerbag, my avatar was a mother unicorn and her child! You just hit me where I live! I rarely disagree with you but guess what? They did sneak on and they do exist but they are so prized that they dare not show themselves so they keep out of sight. I have never personally seen one but I think one day I might! Thank you for your reply and especially for bringing up unicorns. They represent beauty purity innocence and that is why they are so prized and why they must needs absent themselves from homo saps. Or so I've read! Happy Thursday to thee and thine Nanoose! :)
      August 19, 2021 1:41 AM MDT

The socks that everyone has lost in the washing machine or dryer. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at August 19, 2021 9:09 AM MDT
      August 19, 2021 9:09 AM MDT

Ah, the Missing Socks...

"We" can probe ever deeper into the workings of the atom.

"We" can understand how living cells - life itself - work at molecular level.

"We" can analyse and appreciate ever more the sheer majesty and beauty of cosmic processes.

"We" can produce the most sublime music or magnificent architecture.

Yet can "We" keep all of our pairs of socks together in a weekly wash...?
      August 22, 2021 4:07 PM MDT

I solved that problem by safety pinning them together.  I either lose neither or both. :)  It also saves time sorting them. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at August 23, 2021 6:08 AM MDT
      August 23, 2021 6:05 AM MDT