Active Now

Spunky
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Shouldn't you be able to do VERY WELL what you teach others to do? Can a 3rd-rate instruction suffice for a first-rate practioner thereof?

Shouldn't you be able to do VERY WELL what you teach others to do? Can a 3rd-rate instruction suffice for a first-rate practioner thereof?

Or is it rather

JUNK IN
JUNK OUT

Third-rate teacher
Third-rate graduate

Posted - August 24, 2021

Responses

If you look at the majority of coaches ... they can't do the activity as well as the people they are training.

Could the teachers of Einstein or Hawking surpass - or even equal them?  Probably not.

So it seems the answer to your first question is ... No.
    All that is necessary to teach others is the "passion" to spread knowledge, and the ability to encourage others to become better.
      August 24, 2021 8:12 AM MDT

But in everything you learn there is a BASIC CURRICULUM isn't there? LAWS OF PHYSICS for example are the same taught by anyone. It's WHAT THEY DO WITH THAT BASIC INFORMATION that goes beyond the teacher's ability isn't it? Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot here Walt. Aren't coaches former players? How can you coach a game you never played? Tennis instructors or golf instructors. Teach the "basics" and then you get a phenomenon like TIGER WOODS or ROGER FEDERER. The quality of the instruction matters. Some teachers are great. Some are good and do the job. Some (very few in my experience) should not be teachers. The kid who gets the GREAT teacher has an edge. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      August 24, 2021 1:39 PM MDT

At the levels and subjects I taught, yes. If I gave them an assignment and they needed help, I must know more than they do. A poor teacher will make a big difference and I have seen examples of it.
      August 24, 2021 11:47 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to you and your family.
      August 24, 2021 1:41 PM MDT