Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Allegedly the CATHOLIC pope made comments about the sacred books of Judaism. What comments I don't know but compliments?

Allegedly the CATHOLIC pope made comments about the sacred books of Judaism. What comments I don't know but compliments?

I don't think so. The pope is being ask to "SPLAIN YOURSELF"

Now is that an APPROPRIATE or INAPPROPRIATE thing to do? One religious "leader" commenting on other religions sacred beliefs? Methinks NOT. What think you?

Posted - August 25, 2021

Responses

It would depend on which books.
    I believe the books of the Old Testament (of the Christian Bible) are sacred books in Judaism.

Also, I would HOPE the Pope would have a good grounding in the beliefs of Judaism - at least as they were practiced at the time of Jesus.
      August 25, 2021 8:44 AM MDT

It just rubs me the wrong way. I don't think it's appropriate to discuss other religions if you are a leader in a particular religion. What are you going say? Their tenets are way better than ours? Possible but surely not likely! Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      August 25, 2021 8:47 AM MDT

I don't believe that any member of the clergy, especially such a high-profile figure as a pope, would speak ill of another denomination. They generally study other religions' teachings as part of their seminary training, and they consider all their fellow clergy to be colleagues.
      August 25, 2021 8:50 AM MDT

Well, you did say "Allegedly" and did admit you don't know his actual words (nor do I), but as Walt points out the Torah and the Old Testament are much the same anthology in a different order.

Though it varies widely from country to country there is a lot more discussion and co-operation between different Christian denominations and between Christians and other faiths than we might be forgiven for thinking.
      August 25, 2021 2:53 PM MDT