Active Now

my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Language » The exclamation "Ahem!" can be split into two common English words: A hem, which make perfect sense. Can you provide other examples?

The exclamation "Ahem!" can be split into two common English words: A hem, which make perfect sense. Can you provide other examples?

The two words "a hem" can be used together in a proper English sentence. For example: She repaired a hem on her dress.

Posted - October 31, 2016

Responses

• forbid, forget, forgive, peppermint, eyeballs, diskdrive, honeymoon, bookworm, blackout, rainbow, cargo, horsepower

October 31, 2016 8:33 PM MDT

• Wait, wait, hartfire. You are off on two counts.
    (i) the words you give are not exclamations.
    (ii) "A hem" makes sense; e.g. "She repaired a hem on her dress." "For get" cannot be used in a sentence. Likewise for several other suggestions.

October 31, 2016 9:07 PM MDT

You must think about who this is for; get a comprehensive explanation in place. :p This post was edited by Just Asking at October 31, 2016 9:24 PM MDT
      October 31, 2016 9:19 PM MDT

• I have posted in the description box to make what I want a little clearer. The entire series is a result of a challenge posed by a mutual AMug friend, I think you know who. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 31, 2016 9:26 PM MDT
      October 31, 2016 9:25 PM MDT

Notice my effort, dangit! I made for and get work together. I want extra credit. And fame. ;)
      October 31, 2016 11:30 PM MDT

• Hartfire, I think i shall accept your suggestions. Others also seem to have answered on the same lines as you. So you're okay, my friend. Thanks. Please ignore my earlier remark.
      October 31, 2016 9:28 PM MDT

• Therapist =   "the  rapist  "        .. :-/
      October 31, 2016 9:13 PM MDT

I've seen that one before, Witchy. I remember a friend of mine posting a question on AB about that. Something like "Does it bother you that the word "therapist" also spells "the rapist"?". This post was edited by Bez at October 31, 2016 9:29 PM MDT
      October 31, 2016 9:28 PM MDT

• i think that's where i   remembered  it  from  ;-)

October 31, 2016 9:31 PM MDT

I know the guy who posted it, it was the guy with multiple identities all taken from Red Dwarf (Legion, Smeghead, Dave Lister, etc). I know him in real life. I often used to read his AB postings, I thought they were funny but the AB mods didn't. Why do you think that is, Witchy?
      October 31, 2016 9:57 PM MDT

• couldnt tell ya  ..  i  lucked out with the mods  ..  only got bped a few times  .. should have been alot more ,  looking  back  .   lol.

October 31, 2016 10:02 PM MDT

That guy told me he was boxed three times for delberately posting "obnoxious" questions. He told everybody that at the time, he said he doesn't mind who knows. What p*ssed him off more than that was that someone else was also boxed for his violations. That was four years ago and to this day nobody has ever come up with an acceptable explanation for why that happened. I know the full story in detail but I'm not going to post it on here. I could tell you in a message if you are interested.
      October 31, 2016 10:07 PM MDT

• nah .. no  biggy  to  me  .  PS ...  biggest  pb i  got was when i  found a way out of  pb  ..  showed    up    , said  boo  !  im  back ! .............. .. and  boom!  .  got about a month  .  lol  . was worth it  . JAIL  BREAK !!!  NOW THERE'S  A SONG  ;-)
     ;-)  

October 31, 2016 10:13 PM MDT

There were two different songs called "Jailbreak" around at the same time, Witchy. Take your pick:

October 31, 2016 10:18 PM MDT

• :-D
      October 31, 2016 10:25 PM MDT

Oddly enough, both tracks were released as singles in the UK on the same day (Aug. 6, 1976). The Thin Lizzy one was the bigger seller of the two (AC/DC had not yet broken through in the UK). The AC/DC one was released in Australia first on June 14 and it was a hit there. The Thin Lizzy one was an album track first (released on March 26) and it was the second single from the album ("The Boys Are Back In Town" being the first). It does seem odd to me that the two identically-titled but different songs were released as singles in the UK on the same date. Since they were released by different companies, how would each one know when the other was being released? I'm sure it was intentional though. Lol:)
      October 31, 2016 10:35 PM MDT
  • Bez

Impact = Imp act. It's the act of a little devil.
      October 31, 2016 9:26 PM MDT

• boo  - bees   ?      ;-} 
      October 31, 2016 9:33 PM MDT

Another one I like is "its elf". Lol:)
      October 31, 2016 9:55 PM MDT

• three some
      October 31, 2016 9:56 PM MDT

• Ummm... U left out two ... Ah!   &. Em? And if word order doesn't count ... Me? &  Eh?

Ok, l admit I'm on shakey ground with em? ... Unless you're a confused typesetter lol
      October 31, 2016 10:11 PM MDT

"Em" is a valid word, Ozgirl. If you made it in a game of Scrabble I wouldn't question it. :)
      October 31, 2016 10:37 PM MDT

• Yep em and en are typographical space of a certain length ... But not, as requested in the original question, an exclamation ... Hence the rather cunning proposal of being used by a confused typesetter ... :)
      October 31, 2016 10:45 PM MDT

• Farewell! Did he fare well in the competition?

Intolerable! She’s in tolerable circumstances.

Still hunting for more: enjoying the challenge.

November 1, 2016 2:03 AM MDT