Active Now

Spunky
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Did you know that FEMALE HUMMINGBIRDS avoid harrassment by looking like males? UNISEX for all?

Did you know that FEMALE HUMMINGBIRDS avoid harrassment by looking like males? UNISEX for all?

Posted - August 27, 2021

Responses

You Ought to see the pair of hummingbirds who live here.  The male isn't shy.  He'll come right up to me (inches), land next to me and sing, check out a flower I'm touching, or take a bath right next to me.  He even "talks" to me (in his bird language).   His mate, however, does not believe hummingbirds and humans belong together.  Anytime she notices him being very close to me, she'll swoop in, loudly give him what for, and run him off (nagging all the way).  Of course, once she's satisfied he's being "normal", he comes right back. 
    I've never seen anyone harassing either of the hummingbirds.  Even the ravens keep their distance.  
      August 27, 2021 1:51 PM MDT

You have hummingbirds who LIVE on your property Shuhak? The She sounds like a typical nag. She sees he is having fun without her and gets ticked off big time. I think that is really cute. Have you named them? Or at least him? The friendly one? I bet you have other such creatures around all the time. I visualize a Disney movie with all the creatures who live in the forest like Bambi and Thumper visiting from time to time. Thank you for sharing that m'dear! :). A nice friendly break from the usual we read about hear about encounter in these trying times.
      August 27, 2021 4:20 PM MDT

I'm not sure exactly where they nest. 
    She will actually physically push him.
    No, I haven't named them.
    I have seen deer in a few months now, although plants are still being eaten (could be rabbits).
    Yes, there're a lot of critters around here (foxes, mountain lions, deer. rabbits).   Currently I have lizards.  Several little 2-inch ones along the back sidewalk, and one 6-inch one on my patio, with 2 more behind the garage.  
      August 27, 2021 6:27 PM MDT

We have a few skinks and we so enjoy them. We have a lid we put water in and keep filled. We actually have seen them taking sips from time to time. They are so darn cute. Currently there is what appears to be a mom and baby and then from time to a largee one shows up. When they are out there we don't go out though sometimes when we take out the trash and don't know it we see one or two and sometimes they skitter away and sometimes they don't move at all. I kinda think they know we won't hurt them but they like to play it safe. They move so fast it's unbelievable! I think we might have a possum or two visit. Jim found a half eaten lemon in the back yard yesterday so some critter was there to eat it. A few years ago we saw possibly a mom and baby possum but we haven't actually seen them for a few years now. Any port in a storm. We lost our cat Tigger a few years ago and didn't want to get another pet due to our ages. Occasionally we see birds land on our back wall...lovebirds maybe? Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      August 28, 2021 1:31 AM MDT

The only specie we have here is the Rubythroatted. The males are the colorful ones and are rarely seen. They impregnate the females and are off for the next hunt up North. This post was edited by Element 99 at August 29, 2021 1:03 AM MDT
      August 27, 2021 4:27 PM MDT

Like PEACOCKS. The males are the beauties. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Sunday to thee! :)
      August 29, 2021 1:04 AM MDT