Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What if any religions FORBID engaging in anything political so its adherents NEVER VOTE? Are there any such?

What if any religions FORBID engaging in anything political so its adherents NEVER VOTE? Are there any such?

Posted - August 27, 2021

Responses

I would imagine there are religions that do so. But that is their prerogative. Just as it is anyone else's. And you know this.
      August 27, 2021 9:07 AM MDT

:):):)

But how can you be sure Rosie knows this? Her question belies great incredulity.
      August 27, 2021 10:21 AM MDT

Good point.
      August 28, 2021 7:07 AM MDT

I knew a couple Mennonite families that claimed they did not vote, because it was up to God to appoint a country's leaders.
    I don't know if that was the official teaching of their church, though.
      August 27, 2021 10:11 AM MDT

I not a fan of those who use religion as an excuse to opt out of voting and otherwise being a good citizen. They enjoy the fruits of the tree but refuse to water it. Lazy bums if you ask me. Did you? Ask? Anyway I think every American citizen should pull his/her own weight. That includes participating and voting. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      August 28, 2021 2:16 AM MDT

There are probably communities within various religions who avoid politics but it's not a requirement of most religions generally.

Hard-line Islamicists deny any need for elections because to them the only law is that of God, so governments exist simply to administer that. Ironically though the original caliphs were elected - though in what still amounted to one-"party" states.
      August 29, 2021 4:48 PM MDT