Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If your parents have "passed on" do you have any of their possessions?

If your parents have "passed on" do you have any of their possessions?

When my dad died my mom gave me his razor. Why I don't know but I have it and remember watching him shave. No it was NOT an electric razor. It was the old-fashioned kind that require replacing blades when they got dull. When my mom passed away my sis gave me her wedding rings and our fathers' wedding ring. Also some clothes she bought and never wore. Mom was a shopaholic. I have a leather coat and sweaters and gloves and blouses. Some furniture and pots and pans. What do you have that's comparable?

Posted - August 30, 2021

Responses

I was given my father's WWII Purple Heart, but it was misplaced some time in the past.
      August 30, 2021 8:19 AM MDT

My dad wast a material person.  He didn't accumulate many things over the years.  When he passed, my brother took most of his military stuff  (no one else wanted it).  No one in the family is shaped like my dad (short and fat) we donated most of his clothes.  Since I have the house, what little there was left was either "tossed" or is still around here.  For some reason I don't have a sentimental attachment to any of it.  
      August 30, 2021 5:02 PM MDT

My siblings and I shared out or agreed among ourselves the few possessions we wanted to keep. One I took on is a bureau I use as Dad did, to keep stationery items and small books. I believe he made it; one of his early pieces of wood-work.

Of all things, the one we all secretly coveted was a Tastee-Toaster, (trade-mark) a device for making toasted-sandwiches on the gas-hob. It was a pair of saucer-shaped aluminium-alloy discs hinged together, and each fitted with a long handle that also held a simple catch to keep the device closed.  Its use generated a lot of spandrels of bread (the trimmings, from rectangular slices in a circular toaster) - not wasted but used in making bread-&-butter pudding. YUM! 

Its significance was its near-weekly use in Winter for Saturday tea; making sandwich "flying-saucers" usually filled with baked-beans in tomato sauce - almost a family tradition for many years. I think one of my sisters has it now. 
      September 8, 2021 4:24 PM MDT