Active Now

Slartibartfast
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Is there any word or expression you would like to eliminate from your vocabulary for any reason? Eg...

Is there any word or expression you would like to eliminate from your vocabulary for any reason? Eg...

Like saying 'the pain went away'. Well where did it go? -when you mean to be more specific by saying 'the pain stopped '.

Posted - November 1, 2016

Responses

My answer is about a speed unit in French which is commonly called "kilomètre heure" here ("kilometer hour") instead of "kilomètre PAR heure" ("PER", km/h). The former looks like a multiplication of a distance with a time while the latter expresses the division it actually is. It's confusing for many people who don't know how to calculate a speed. Also, there's another common unit which is "wattheure" (Wh) AND an actual mulplication (watt x hour).

French TV weather forecast people, many French people (even some French scientists) say "kilomètre heure" instead of "km/h". Because it sounds so cool, I suppose. I usually don't make that mistake but I can't deny I'm influenced and that I must make the effort to spell the speed unit right. That's why I'd like to remove that "km.h" from me.
    I remember when I was in high school, I had a teacher who said "mètre.seconde" instead of "m/s" and, man, I found that so cool then. I know now it is confusing. It's like a contamination to me.

I don't see any other word/expression to eliminate from my vocabulary right now. I see some in others like the "extremely" which is often misused, in my opinion. This post was edited by anton at November 1, 2016 8:20 AM MDT
      November 1, 2016 8:18 AM MDT

Thanks.
      November 1, 2016 8:20 AM MDT

I could give a long list of linguistic horrors, mainly what were clever metaphors in the original speech or writing, but have become merely lazy clichés through over-use. Politicians and business people are among the worst offenders.

It would be a pity though to lose too many. "The pain went away". Yes, literally it is daft, but we all know what is really meant; and such constructions do stop the language becoming stilted.

I believe though that people now have not been taught how to understand even simple words. For example, I keep seeing things in the newspapers like "the residents met with their local councillor...": that is tautological, as is another common slip, "revert back".

Perhaps the most irritating to me is inability to use tenses properly.

Any number of historians will enthusiastically describe events of decades or centuries ago in the present tense. Challenged, some try to tell you it's not the Present Tense but the "Historical Present". Rhubarb! It's the present tense because the speaker finds it hard to use the past tense! Some ever veer unpredictably from one to another: "Science developed rapidly in the Age of Enlightenment and Isaac Newton is writing his Principia". What? Newton is still alive, still working on his book? He is over 300 years old then!  

Then after the radio programme that reveals the historians' inability to use any but the present tense, we have the weather forecast: "Today is wet and cloudy for most of the country, clearing Northwards tomorrow, and Sunday is fine but chilly." So no Future Tense then? Or is the forecaster a time-traveller?

Oh, no, we don't want a stilted language, but let's learn to respect and use it properly so we can all enjoy its richness in both the literal and figurative, while understanding properly what we all say, write, hear or read!    
      November 4, 2016 4:55 PM MDT
  • Bez

I eliminated the R-word (pronounced to rhyme with "tandem") from my vocabulary in 1995, although I had already been viewing such a word with extreme suspicion since 1986.
      November 4, 2016 5:27 PM MDT

It always irks me when I use the phrase, "...that would be great" because it reminds me so much of Lumbergh in the movie Office Space...;-D...

November 4, 2016 5:29 PM MDT

I take it from that, you find Lumbergh annoying. Why don't you like him?
      November 4, 2016 5:31 PM MDT

@Andy B -- Please watch the whole movie. Lumbergh is the prototypical Boss from Hell.

November 4, 2016 5:34 PM MDT

I just might do that one of these days, OS. But not tonight as I have bought several DVDs this week and I haven't watched all of them yet. Lol:)
      November 4, 2016 5:36 PM MDT