Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » In this age of throwaway technology, what is a product you prefer to have repaired rather than just buying the newest version?

In this age of throwaway technology, what is a product you prefer to have repaired rather than just buying the newest version?

[This question is not limited to technological products, it can be anything you’ve bought or anything you own.]
~

Posted - October 25, 2021

Responses

To be honest, I have had very few items that have needed repair unless their "shelf life" was long past.  In that case, it was less expensive to buy a new item than fix the old one.  For example, my Zenith 27" TV is probably 40 years old.  I have never had a moment's trouble with it and I will only replace it when one of two things happens:  (1) it no longer works; or (2) I move to a new home.  I am not schlepping that monstrously large TV anywhere else.  The one thing I can be sure of is that nothing I buy in the way of a TV today will last 40 years.  I did replace my living room air conditioner about 12 years ago, but it conked out at the end of the summer, so I will have to replace it.  I have a shopping cart that is 50 years old, one wheel wobbles, but until it falls off, I'm good with it.  I also have a Farberware toaster that is 52 years old and make perfect toast. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at October 26, 2021 9:41 PM MDT
      October 25, 2021 9:28 AM MDT

Most large appliances.  Washer, dryer, 'fridge, oven.
    Anything that is less expensive to repair than buy a new one.

The other day, I noticed there were still both watch-repair and shoe-repair businesses in town.
      October 25, 2021 11:12 AM MDT

Underwear.  (The old is sooo comfy; this new stuff permanently chafes.)
      October 25, 2021 1:24 PM MDT

Er, um, what about all the stains, and all those holes? Oh, never mind! Do whatever you want to do. Grrrrrrr. 

~

October 25, 2021 1:30 PM MDT

The holes are for ventilation.  The stains.. well... they're for memories.  (we are talking about a t-shirt, right?)
      October 25, 2021 2:28 PM MDT

Your tightie-whities are more like tightie-blighties.

~

October 25, 2021 2:58 PM MDT

Almost anything should be repairable until it wears out fairly and completely!
      December 21, 2021 8:20 AM MST