Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Which reality is more fun to fantasize about, one of super science like "Star Trek" or one where laws of physics are second to laws of magic

Which reality is more fun to fantasize about, one of super science like "Star Trek" or one where laws of physics are second to laws of magic

like "Lord of The Rings"?

Posted - November 2, 2016

Responses

• Well, in Star Trek supposedly "money" doesn't exist. It is some sort of utopia. I guess in that scenario I'm wherever they put dumb people. Maybe they let us use future finger paint all day in some garden. I still don't know how that works. The people in the stories are always super geniuses and they mention that poverty or money doesn't exist anymore. Seems like it is a fascist state run by Super Geniuses where dumb people are allowed to exist just so they can exist. But why? Are they kept like farm animals?

One episode Kirk outright dislikes a "useless" historian/artist crew member. Of course later, she betrays the crew and helps Khan.

In the Lord of the Rings scenario, I'm sure I would die from some disease or injury because normal dumb people probably don't come in contact with magic so much. The magicians in those stories seem to be the equivalent of the Superior IT Tech God Geniuses of our world.

So, I guess I pick Star Trek.
      November 2, 2016 5:26 AM MDT

• Brilliant!
      November 2, 2016 5:29 AM MDT

In a "Star Trek" universe no one is dumb because they would have found a way to make everyone smart. Still there would be varying degrees of "smart" and explains why most don't work or become crew members of star ships. They either are not needed or not smart enough. Of course we're talking fantasy so there is nothing to explain anything. There is only conjecture. This post was edited by O-uknow at November 2, 2016 10:01 PM MDT
      November 2, 2016 9:58 PM MDT

• Genetic modification was outlawed as discussed in the incidents involving Khan and the doctor on Deep Space Nine. BUT perhaps the effects of past modification had a lasting affect, that increased the intelligence of the general population.

But you basically have to be an autistic to get into Starfleet Academy. Look at Wesley Crusher.
      November 3, 2016 5:00 AM MDT

• You left out the Zombie Apocalypse...
      November 2, 2016 6:09 AM MDT

Robert A. Heinlein wrote a book about that. It is a hoot! For instance they don't have trucks like ours, they levitate wagons by magic. So one day a wagon crashes through the roof of a church and kills a bunch of people. The survivors beat the driver's corpse and shout curses over him for being so stupid and not checking his route: you can't levitate over hallowed ground! In another case some lawyers hire a witch and results are coming slowly, but one of them remarks "Well, at least this one works with her clothes on!"
    https://www.amazon.com/Waldo-Magic-Inc-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1476736359/ref=sr_1_1
      November 2, 2016 10:21 AM MDT

I like things that teach and make sense. 

The trouble is most people do not understand that magic is quite valid.  They don't know what they are doing or playing around with. 

I think fantasy, magic and science are not that far removed.  Science is actually just catching up to the laws of magic, not vice-versa.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 5, 2016 4:40 PM MDT
      November 2, 2016 10:26 AM MDT

It's not a matter of validity. Many or most people just don't want responsibility.
      November 2, 2016 1:32 PM MDT

I realize technology plays catch up to what we once thought was magic and whose to say that a universe based on magic might not be supported and/or created by super science? A virtual reality universe comes to mind.
      November 2, 2016 9:54 PM MDT

• Or a universe like Dune. When "magic" and sci-fi is combined, the magic often becomes "psy" powers or extreme intellgence that can affect the physical world in a supernatural way. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 3, 2016 5:02 AM MDT
      November 3, 2016 5:01 AM MDT

I don't believe you can have both without one which is real supporting the one that is unreal.
      November 5, 2016 4:43 PM MDT

I guess for me it would be discovering what we don't know about the universe we inhabit.  There is far more yet to be learned than all that we currently know combined.  JMHO
      November 2, 2016 10:08 PM MDT

Aye, indeed.
      November 5, 2016 4:44 PM MDT