Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Should Texas Agriculture Commissioner, Sid Miller get away with calling Hillary Clinton an obscene name on Twitter?

Should Texas Agriculture Commissioner, Sid Miller get away with calling Hillary Clinton an obscene name on Twitter?

I don't know about ethics laws for state officials, especially in Texas. However, it seems to me, Sid Miller should be reprimanded by the Ethics Committe. People follow Texas officials on social media to get information on the job they are supposed to be servicing the public. 

Sid Miller published a political tweet regarding a poll between Hillary and Trump. He named Trump as Trump and Hillary as a c**t. That was an incendiary word, as we are at the end of a very heated election. However, if you check his bio on Wikipedia, you will find he has made other statements on Twitter that have caused much concern to voters. 

In addition, he is an elder at a Cowboy Church. 

He never apologized to Hillary or his constituents. As a Texas voter, I am very irritated at this public official and intend to write a letter to the governor and my representatives. Better still, I am going to call their offices tomorrow. I know I won't be the only one. This news was in our local radio station as well. 

Posted - November 2, 2016

Responses

I figured Texan men had the reputation of being gentleman and they did things like tipping there hats  at ladies so I think he should be reprimanded  for not setting a good example. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at November 2, 2016 6:58 PM MDT
      November 2, 2016 6:48 PM MDT

Wow! That's pretty offensive!

This sort of public language from government officials is one of the big problems that many people have with Trump. It's just not acceptable, as it's unacceptable for Trump to go around telling people to go "f" themselves publically.

It's honestly no different than most "regular" people while they're at their jobs, of even if they aren't at their jobs, if they're representing their place of employment. If I'm representing my employer, I'm expected to conduct myself in a professional manner. This man should most definitely be reprimanded. But, if his boss is a Trump-supporting republican, he probably won't be.

November 2, 2016 6:49 PM MDT

Oh, and what is the Cowboy Church?? Sounds like a cult!
      November 2, 2016 6:50 PM MDT

That's right! We don't need no stinkin' 1st Amendment!

The PC police should arrest him and he should be executed at dawn.
      November 2, 2016 6:55 PM MDT

Hello Red:

I dunno HOW you misunderstand stuff so badly..  Do you practice it???

Let's review..  Nowhere!  Absolutely NOWHERE in this thread do you see libs calling for REMOVAL of his right to make an ass of himself...  You make up stuff.  But, we KNOW that about you.. The only thing we're saying is, AFTER you make an ass of yourself, WE have a right to call attention to it...

That's NOT a difficult distinction to make..  But, you can't do it, can you??  I'd get that fixed, if I were you.

excon
    This post was edited by excon at November 3, 2016 10:39 AM MDT
      November 3, 2016 7:47 AM MDT

Yes, let's review.

NOWHERE in my comments did I mention "libs", so I can't fathom where you got that idea.

And the question was "Should Texas Agriculture Commissioner, Sid Miller get away with calling Hillary Clinton an obscene name on Twitter?" Please note the portion of the sentence that I underlined. In fact, lets use that phrase in another sentence that you might understand: "Should white cops get away with protecting themselves from armed black thugs that are brandishing their weapons? In both cases get away with means escape punishment for committing an alleged or perceived egregious transgression against someone else.

But there's no point in asking why you repeatedly demonstrate difficulty in understanding plain English usage. The answer will just go up in smoke. ;>) This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at November 3, 2016 11:04 AM MDT
      November 3, 2016 11:02 AM MDT

Yes.

Why all  the worry about words?e  Geesh!  The world is all of a sudden a bunch of crybabies who need safe spaces. 
    Calling someone a vulgar name generally results in negative responses back to the speaker.  We don't need the speech police.

Truth is another matter altogether. But "He called me a bad word" whining is ridiculous among adults. 
      November 2, 2016 7:04 PM MDT

• Meh.  Got real issues and things that matte \r to worry about.
      November 2, 2016 7:25 PM MDT

Oh no this man said a bad word too? Someone run and tell the teacher because this is serious business!
    Our department of justice is corrupt and leaking info?  Nothing to worry about.
      November 3, 2016 7:37 AM MDT

I think Trump wins the obscene name-calling contest. 

Calling innocent people rapists and thieves is obscene to me.  Calling McCain a loser for being a prisoner of war is even worse.  Calling women ugly.  Calling names is his business, his chief business. 

So, calling Hillary a c*nt pales in comparison to what our Republican candidate has uttered. 

By the way, for the record he is the Prince of Lies and the King of Pr**ks.
      November 3, 2016 11:09 AM MDT