Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do most heterosexual couples spend more time with the woman's family?

Do most heterosexual couples spend more time with the woman's family?

Posted - November 3, 2016

Responses

I don't think there's a golden rule around this one. Not from what I have seen.
      November 3, 2016 2:31 AM MDT

Most of the couples I know are this way. 
      November 3, 2016 2:58 AM MDT

Oh. Cultural thing, or geographical thing?
      November 3, 2016 3:00 AM MDT

• When I was younger it seemed the other way around but that does seem the current trend these days.
    I honestly never liked doing anything with GF's families and never really cared if they did anything with mine.  Been a repeated source of contention in relationships.
      November 3, 2016 3:48 AM MDT

• No idea about most.
    Ari and I spent more time with my Mum.
    But his family lives in Israel, so most of the communication is by phone.
      November 3, 2016 4:42 AM MDT

• Not necessarily so, though I have seen that happen, especially if there is an aged relative like a grandmother and both wish to see more of each other before time runs out.
      November 3, 2016 5:38 AM MDT

I think it just depends.  I know we spend more time with hubby's family than mine, simply because my hubby's family is/was much larger than mine. When my dad was alive we always split the time between both of our families. 

The couples I know split the time equally with both families.  I guess the way we were brought to has something to do with that. 
      November 3, 2016 10:50 AM MDT

It seems that way.
      November 3, 2016 12:16 PM MDT

I had a gay boyfriend for years  (uh huh I DID)   and we spent most of our time with his family.  He loved his mom and dad and his mom and he were very close.

I had a straight boyfriend before him.  He and his family were just as close.  I loved both his parents and so did he.

I had a straight boyfriend before him and he and I were the same.  We were kind of not that close to our parents.  We loved them and all, but really were not that invested in family ties or considerations back then.

SO, I am not any proof of this theory of yours. 
      November 3, 2016 12:19 PM MDT

it probably depends on the person, everyone is different
      November 5, 2016 8:45 PM MDT
  • Bez

It depends where the woman's family live and where the man's family live. Before my parents were married they lived 163 miles apart. What would you do in a situation like that?
      November 5, 2016 8:50 PM MDT