Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » CIVILITY. Remember that? What in the he** happened to it and whom can we blame for its demise?

CIVILITY. Remember that? What in the he** happened to it and whom can we blame for its demise?

Posted - November 3, 2016

Responses

I blame it on the Population explosion.   There is no way to control this vast sea of idiots who run rampant over all that once was holy. 

It would be fine if all that was holy was being elevated and changed by positive actions and thoughtful  improvements.   Instead the globe is being denigrated, degraded, debrided and it is devolving minute-by-minute.   Even the most denial-embedded moron can see that the world is not heading in a positive direction and it is too late to turn back now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 3, 2016 10:59 AM MDT
      November 3, 2016 10:51 AM MDT

• All civilizations  fail and fall.   History has proven it over and over again.  Civilization grows too big and it can no longer function and becomes depleted of what it thrived on.   It's a failed experiment mankind keeps trying to make work but it doesn't in the end. A house of cards. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 5, 2016 7:14 AM MDT
      November 3, 2016 10:58 AM MDT

• I blame it on us. We either participate in uncivility, or walk by it and let it happen. We are to blame.
      November 4, 2016 5:05 PM MDT

I ignore it. I am not to blame since  I NEVER engage with such people. I don't even read anything they post once I identify what they are. It is so very easy to ignore them. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday Lago! :)
      November 5, 2016 5:37 AM MDT

I can only speak to my personal experience. To the extent that I am uncivil (and I freely admit I am at times), it is in reaction to people (typically on the political right) who refuse to concede even an inch of comity when I acknowledge the imperfections of the world/politics/government/etc.

I'll hear,  "TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHLZ IZ STOOPID...AND EBIL...AND MUST BE STOPPED!"

I'll reply, "Yes, I know government officials tend to fall into corruption, which is why we need adequate oversight."

The response will be, ""TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHLZ IZ STOOPID...AND EBIL...AND MUST BE STOPPED!"

I'll admit, "Yes, governing institutions are subject to 'regulatory capture' and we need to account for that."

The response will be, "TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHLZ IZ STOOPID...AND EBIL...AND MUST BE STOPPED!"

I'll concede that Hilary Clinton is a flawed presidential candidate (while still expressing some preference for her over Donald Trump).

The response is almost always, ""TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHLZ IZ STOOPID...AND EBIL...AND MUST BE STOPPED!"

At which point, I'm done being "civil." Right Wing Authoritarian F***tars who are more interested in ranting and demonization can go Cheney themselves, and I have no qualms using equally "uncivil" language, because I WILL NOT concede the rhetorical space to them in the name of preserving some abstract notion of "civility."

November 4, 2016 5:17 PM MDT

I simply don't engage with such people OS. I have no time or energy or intellect or breath or patience or integrity to waste on them so I don't. It is very easy for me to ignore them and I NEVER READ A  DAM* THING THEY POST. Why should I when I already know it will be of no use to me at all?. They do NOT wish to engage in civil conversation. I do. I win because I will never cave in to them. Mahalo for your thoughtful reply and the cartoon and Happy Saturday! :)
      November 5, 2016 5:35 AM MDT
  • Bez

I don't think a seahorse was to blame for that, Rosie, although I might be proved hopelessly wrong. Happy Friday!:)
      November 4, 2016 5:20 PM MDT

Apologies Andy but I don't understand your reply m'dear. So couldja help me out here and state it differently? Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      November 5, 2016 5:36 AM MDT

Someone else mentioned a seahorse in a pyschological explanation for something, but I can't find the original question now. When I saw it last night it inspired me to post a number of seahorse posts. If I can find the original question I got it from, I'll post the link on here. Happy Saturday, Rosie!:)
      November 5, 2016 7:35 AM MDT