Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Instead of confusing your mechanic trying to describe what you think is wrong with your vehicle, would you just tell him take it out for....

Instead of confusing your mechanic trying to describe what you think is wrong with your vehicle, would you just tell him take it out for....

a spin and determine for himself what needs to be done?

Posted - January 25, 2022

Responses

January 25, 2022 4:37 PM MST

Sounds like good professional advice and clever guidance.
      January 25, 2022 5:10 PM MST

I do that when I'm not sure what is wrong.
      January 26, 2022 8:57 AM MST

I tell them what it sounds/feels like, so they know what to listen/look for.
    But I also ask them to do a full inspection, and tell me any problems and repair price before authorizing the work.
      January 26, 2022 9:24 AM MST

Last time, the mechanic plugged an electronic gubbins into a socket I'd not known is there, somewhere below the dashboard, and found the fault that way.

It was a fault in the throttle control unit - oh for the days of a Bowden cable; or on three vans I owned years back, mechanical rods and levers from pedal to carburettor. On one van, their joints were badly worn, causing severe lost-motion, so I made and fitted simple brass bushes, and this restored the mechanism to nearly as good as new. 
      February 21, 2022 3:10 PM MST