Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Prior to reading this question, what was the last food you threw away after taking one bite, and why? [~]

Prior to reading this question, what was the last food you threw away after taking one bite, and why? [~]

DISCLAIMER: I do not like to waste food, I do not like it when others waste food. I acknowledge, however, that it happens, and sometimes cannot be avoided. 

Posted - January 30, 2022

Responses

Cottage cheese.  Looked ok, smelled "ok", did NOT taste ok.

I hate wasting food (as I can barely afford it).  I lost all the food in my refrigerator/freezer twice in less than a month (starting just before Thanksgiving) due to power outages.  I completely filled an empty waste Management garbage can with food each time.  Then on Christmas Night, a heavy snow brought down thousands of trees all over the place, taking out the power once again.  My refrigerator/freezer has remained nearly empty ever since (save for a large bowl of snow).
      January 30, 2022 10:58 AM MST

Why not just freeze everything outside in a snow bank near your homestead?

~

January 30, 2022 2:44 PM MST

The first 2 times there was no snow.  

One must remember that snow is a great insulator.   This is why survivalists tell you to build a snow cave to keep warm.  Putting food in snow can actually make it warmer, thus causing it to spoil faster.  Air temperature must also be considered.  Not all places get super cold when it snows.  Our best snow happens at 32/33 F  That's quite a bit warmer than the temperature in a freezer (0 F).

I put bowls of snow inside my fridge/freezer.  Even so, the temp inside the fridge remained above 45 F (food spoiling temps), and the temp in the freezer stayed above 32 F.  (Remember, water freezes at 32 F.  So unless there's another force to make the snow colder (eg. a working freezer), snow inside can't get colder than 32 F.)
      January 30, 2022 3:12 PM MST

January 30, 2022 11:37 AM MST

You could have at least called me. Grrrrrrr.

~

January 30, 2022 2:37 PM MST

Spaghetti with Italian sausage sauce.  I made a whole pot of sauce and mixed it with a pound of cooked spaghetti.  I put a portion in a bowl for my dinner.  I sat down to eat and found a piece of sausage right away.  It tasted awful.  I spit it out and rinsed my mouth.  It had an April date on it.  I put all of that food in a plastic bag and took it outside and put in the garbage.  Then I had an egg sandwich...delicious.
      January 30, 2022 11:37 AM MST

You can’t go wrong with sandwiches. Say, since you’re so good at making them, how would you like to drop by my place and tour the basement areas?

~

January 30, 2022 2:36 PM MST

Tempting.  But, no.
      January 30, 2022 11:13 PM MST

You’re not even the least bit curious?

~

January 31, 2022 1:58 PM MST

I don't remember. Most things I'll either give to the dogs or put it outside for some other creature to enjoy.  
      January 30, 2022 12:44 PM MST

Hold on a second: how did you even know that I was out there? Oh, a security  camera! Oops. Grrrrrrrr. 

~

January 30, 2022 2:33 PM MST

Note to self - always add a bit of avocado to the scraps before throwing them out. 

January 30, 2022 6:00 PM MST

Grrrrrrr. 

~

January 30, 2022 6:09 PM MST