Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » If a baby is born in a plane mid flight over the ocean, how is the baby's nationality determined?

If a baby is born in a plane mid flight over the ocean, how is the baby's nationality determined?

Posted - January 30, 2022

Responses

The copilot gives him/her a map and a dart.  He/she throws the dart and, whichever country it lands on, the baby becomes a citizen of said nation.  Weird, but true!
      January 30, 2022 12:25 PM MST

R e a l l y ? ? ! !
      January 30, 2022 1:17 PM MST

O.K., you got me!  Actually, the head flight attendant writes the names of the origin and destination countries, and any that may lie in between, on little pieces of paper and places them in a hat, the baby then pulls one out of the hat and that is his/her nationality.  Scout's honor!
      January 30, 2022 1:34 PM MST

By the registry of the aircraft.
      January 30, 2022 12:44 PM MST

• Yes!
      January 30, 2022 2:14 PM MST

• That rarely happens.  I've never had a woman give birth on a flight.  If it happens, the birth certificate will be issued in the city where the plane lands.  The baby may or may not be a citizen of that country.  I can only answer for my own country.  If the plane is over the ocean, the baby is Argentine citizen if the airline is an Argentine airline regardless of the parents' citizenship.  If a foreign airline's plane is over Argentine airspace when the baby is born, the baby is an Argentine citizen regardless of the parents' citizenship.  If one parent is an Argentine citizen and the baby is born over or in a foreign country, the baby won't become an Argentine citizen until the parent presents the birth certificate to the authorities to declare the baby's citizenship.  If the parent doesn't declare the child's citizenship, that child can choose to become a citizen when he or she turns 18.  If the parents are foreign citizens but they have a baby in Argentina, the baby is an Argentine citizen, and they have an exit ban until they can get an Argentine passport for the baby.  The exception to that is for foreign diplomats and employees of a foreign government.
      January 30, 2022 2:13 PM MST

That is quite complicated. Why would a baby need a passport?
      January 31, 2022 7:15 AM MST

• It's the law.  Argentine citizens of any age leaving the country must leave with an Argentine passport.  If they're traveling to another South American country, except Guyana, only their national ID card is needed.  The national ID card must always be carried even domestically.  I always carry my passport along with my visas anyway so I never forget them.  I may be called to work on an international flight at any time.
      February 1, 2022 8:20 PM MST

https://www.bataraimmigrationlaw.com/airbirth-citizenship-child-born-on-plane
      January 30, 2022 11:27 PM MST

WAY too confusing.
      January 31, 2022 7:19 AM MST

Is it ever! Words, words, words ... too many words. Needs to brief it up a bit.
      January 31, 2022 8:05 AM MST

Thank you!
      January 31, 2022 7:56 AM MST

Ocean implies international waters..

So parent's country. 
      February 2, 2022 6:26 AM MST