Discussion » Questions » Business » Have you ever boycotted a business? Why?

Have you ever boycotted a business? Why?

Posted - February 18, 2022

Responses

That usually means you can find it on their website. 
      February 18, 2022 12:54 PM MST

Why should I have to? I should be able to just go buy it.
      February 18, 2022 1:30 PM MST

I don’t know if this counts, but when they have advertisements that use either profanity or pretend profanity or words that are obviously substitutes for profanity, I stop patronizing their products or services. for products or services that I’ve never used before when they do that in their advertising I don’t start patronizing their businesses.

There are other examples of boycott-type activities in which I might participate, but I will leave it at the ones above for now.
    ~

February 18, 2022 1:21 PM MST

I definitely agree with that.
      February 18, 2022 1:31 PM MST

Wait, this is about the avocados, the mayonnaise and the Vegemite isn’t it? Why are you always spying on me? Who sent you? What kinds of promises did they make to you?  How did they convince you to gather evidence for them? I won’t stand for this, I won’t be hounded by shills! I know my rights!

((((Psssst, over here.  No, don’t look directly at me, you never know who’s watching. Listen, I’ll cut you a deal. Whatever they’re paying you, I’ll pay you 1/4! Stop looking at me, they’ll know I’m trying to turn you.  Now just walk away, act nonchalant. I’ll gather the money and meet you later. Shhhhhh! And stop pointing in my direction! Is this your first day doing this?))))

~

February 18, 2022 1:29 PM MST

25%? Seriously?
      February 18, 2022 1:32 PM MST

Many years ago, I was paying for my items in my local supermarket when the manager came over and accused me of stealing a can of tuna and putting it in my pocketbook.  I denied it ad when he continued to accuse me, I dumped everything out on the conveyor belt, showing him that there was no can of tuna in my bag.  He made no apology, so I left everything that was rung up already, put my belongings back in my bag and walked out.  I never shopped there again.
      February 18, 2022 2:18 PM MST

I would have also left.
      February 19, 2022 10:30 AM MST

I do not by Nike, Carthart, watch NFL (except Superbowl for the last 2 yrs), avoid Coke products.....
      February 18, 2022 4:09 PM MST

Wait, what? You boycott the NFL except for watching its biggest yearly event?

February 18, 2022 11:53 PM MST

2 games out of over 500 games.  I used to watch every week. 
      February 19, 2022 5:53 AM MST

Definitely. 
      February 18, 2022 6:29 PM MST

Harems don’t count. We all know you’ll eventually come around and sign the contract. You’re just playing hard to get. Grrrrrrr.

~

February 18, 2022 11:56 PM MST

I had a very bad experience with American Airlines about 20 years ago and, when I wrote to their complaints department, I got an accusatory response basically explaining to me that I should have done more research before purchasing my ticket and that they were totally absolved in the matter.  I have never KNOWINGLY flown with AA since and, I say knowingly because I understand that the US airlines industry is a huge conglomeration and that each airline has many subsets and derivative airlines but, I will never fly on any aircraft bearing the American Airlines name or logo on it again!

February 19, 2022 6:10 AM MST

Now that I think of it, I am also boycotting Nabisco.  Years ago, they accepted money from the US government to upgrade their facilities in the US that make Oreo cookies so as not to close and eliminate jobs.  Not long after, they sold that division to a Mexican corporation and the employees lost their jobs.  No Nabisco products for me.
      February 19, 2022 6:40 AM MST

More than 40 years ago, the Nestlé Corporation, a Swiss international conglomerate, was named in a scandal that had something to do with promoting its baby formula in Third World countries at the expense of customarily, culturally, and healthier ingrained practices of breast-feeding. The corporation touted its baby formula as being a better option, however, the version of the product sold in Third World countries was inferior to that which it sold in First World countries. Due to greed at profit mongering, the standards in the First World were not followed in the Third World iteration, resulting in over 60,000 infant deaths involved in the use of the formula. The corporation not only tried to cover it up when it came to light, it also continued both the advertising campaign and pushing the substandard product for years.
    ~

February 19, 2022 8:22 AM MST

I keep seeing ads on TV for class action settlements for injuries and/or deaths caused by baby formula.  I don't know if these are made by Nestle or some other conglomerate, but they are some of the leading formulas out there today.  
      February 19, 2022 8:28 AM MST

Nabisco products are difficult to avoid.
      February 19, 2022 10:32 AM MST

Not really.  When it comes to cookies, there are plenty of other brands.  Same for crackers.  
      February 19, 2022 1:10 PM MST

There are a number of business with whom I do not shop for a number of reasons.  I don't feel the need to officially announce a Thriftymaid Boycott.  And, generally, I never go back to that source again.  There are too many possibilities about where one can spend their money.
      February 19, 2022 11:37 AM MST