Discussion » Questions » Family » How much of whom you are do you give up when you marry someone? How about honor/integrity/character? Is that the price you pay?

How much of whom you are do you give up when you marry someone? How about honor/integrity/character? Is that the price you pay?

You certainly don't have to be married or have someone special in your life to live a good life. It's nice if you do but what would you be willing to give up of yourself to get that? Why?

Posted - November 5, 2016

Responses

I wouldn't give up any of those things for a relationship.
    If being with someone didn't enhance who I am, I don't need it.
      November 5, 2016 12:33 PM MDT

I often wonder what Melania Trump has to tell herself in order to stay married to Donald J. Trump? She is not a stupid woman. Can she really love him or is her desire for living a monied life the most important thing to her? I wonder what she tells her son  Barron if/when he hears his father demean women and insult everyone else? I think he's ten years old. Trump's grown children either are exactly like him or don't want to anger him by standing up against him and so they roll over and comply and are his surrogates. Very sad family. No core of honor/integrity there at all. Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 6, 2016 2:52 AM MST

For Melania  it has to be the money.
    Trump wouldn't have a chance with a woman like her if he weren't rich.
    And yes I do think his kids do roll over for him. If they make daddy mad he might cut them out of the Will.
      November 6, 2016 8:48 AM MST

Precisely! I wonder if Melania will go the distance with Trump? Bill Cosby's wife Camille has stuck  by him through all those years.  I would be humiliated but then I'm pretty certain that money/status/privilege doesn't mean that much to me to sell myself like that. I'm not a thing person anyway so it's easy. If you are a thing person then maybe you just cannot resist being married to a never-ending source of things. :)
      November 8, 2016 8:05 AM MST

The word golddigger comes to mind.
      November 8, 2016 8:13 AM MST

You know m'dear of course I can only assume what I'd do. I have never been confronted with that choice . Well once upon a time long ago there was a young doctor who was interested in me but I only dated him for a short while. I don't know where it might have gone. He might have lost interest in me. But he definitely had a ton of money. But he didn't impress as a special person. He was pleasant enough. And the time I spent with him was pleasant enough but I guess I just couldn't get too enthused about "pleasant enough". If I had been born to wealth I have no idea whom I would be either. I'd probably be very different and whether it would be a better person or lousy one I'll never know. :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 8, 2016 8:27 AM MST
      November 8, 2016 8:26 AM MST

I feel incredibly grateful that the man I married has only enhanced my self worth and integrity.  

I think there was a time in my young years where I did compromise myself being with a few bad eggs.
      November 5, 2016 12:37 PM MDT

You know PeaPod I am incredibly lucky with Jim as you are with your mate. Jim is such a kind, nice and great guy he makes me want to try to be my better self.  How much luckier than that can anyone get? I am so happy for you m'dear. Thank  you for your reply! :)
      November 6, 2016 2:49 AM MST

Time is what tells that story.  No one goes into a marriage and plans misery.  Well, some do, I guess, but those are the people who have been so abused already by those in control, that this marriage thing is just another round of abuse to them.  They don't know any difference, with parents, step-parents or foster parents perhaps, that did the same treatment of abuse and/or neglect, they have no tools to prepare them for living any other way with anyone remotely normal and kind.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 8, 2016 8:10 AM MST
      November 8, 2016 8:09 AM MST

No man is worth losing my integrity, self respect and worth. how sad that so many women are willing to sell themselves for money and fame. 
      November 27, 2016 11:22 PM MST

No man is worth losing my integrity, self respect and worth. how sad that so many women are willing to sell themselves for money and fame. Melania trump is only an example of what many women have done.  This post was edited by Autumnleaves at November 27, 2016 11:23 PM MST
      November 27, 2016 11:22 PM MST