Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Military » Anybody else wonder if Putin intends to sacrifice that convoy?

Anybody else wonder if Putin intends to sacrifice that convoy?

As far as I know, Ukraine has at least 1 fighter jet remaining.

Look up "Highway of Death" or "Slaughter Alley" from the First Gulf War.

The only logical conclusion to a 40-mile military convoy to be literally crawling through enemy territory, is to give the enemy plenty of time to prepare for it.
It's no secret the west is sending thousands of anti-tank missiles.  Or that the Ukrainian forces have been very successful with what they had.

So, the only conclusion I can reach is that Putin is purposefully sacrificing that column.
Perhaps it is commanded by officers he wants to get rid of.
Perhaps he will use it as an excuse to escalate to "theater nukes".

Posted - March 1, 2022

Responses

I do not know.  Putin is showing restraint.  

So much of the media is showing theater.   Clips from years ago being passed off as from the current conflict. Even picts from movies being claimed as real.  
    A supposed battlefield scene is from a video game.   

March 1, 2022 7:57 AM MST

Putin is not showing restraint for the last 2 days he has been targeting and bombing civilian neighbourhoods. As far as fake clips goes there are a 1000X more real clips that show the horror the Ukrainian people are going through and how dirty Putin's war is. Cheers!
      March 1, 2022 4:52 PM MST

How do we know which are real  and which are propaganda? 
    It has been reported that Ukraine is using human shields. Storing  weapons next to hospitals and schools etc. 
    Part of their national guard refers to themselves as Nazis. They are banned on Facebook. 

Nato caused this. It is the Cuban missile crisis in reverse.   Too bad we do not have strong leader. 
      March 2, 2022 4:30 AM MST

Yes.  It is similar to the Cuban missile crisis.
    Unfortunately, Putin choose a military option before a diplomatic one.
    From what I've heard, Ukraine would have been willing to be a neutral buffer between NATO and Russia - if they were guaranteed security by both sides.  But Russia sending troops to aid "separatist" regions did not bode well for that guarantee.
      March 2, 2022 7:27 AM MST

In Nov/Dec 2021, US intelligence told China that Urkaine was going to join NATO. Knowing China would tell Russia.  And it is known that that is a redline for Russia as Cuba was for US.  

Ukraine being a buffer zone between the two was the original agreement.  Putin is not the one pushing the line.   The fact that he has not just came in and destroyed Ukraine is proof that  restraint is being shown.   
      March 2, 2022 9:21 AM MST

Restraint?  Maybe in the same way one could say the NAZIs showed "restraint" by not persecuting even more groups than they did.

Putin invaded Ukraine starting in 2014.
    So the 2021 offer does not factor in to his motives.
    Of course Ukraine would consider an offer to join NATO after Russia showed it could not be trusted to leave Ukraine as a neutral, sovereign buffer.

March 2, 2022 9:35 AM MST

The things you mentioned are coming from Russia State TV so it is a good bet that it is propaganda. Cheers! 
      March 2, 2022 7:59 AM MST

No. The fake stuff I am talking about is MSM in the US. I do not see Russian media. 
      March 2, 2022 9:13 AM MST

It originated on Russia State TV then spread like cancer to other news outlets. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at March 2, 2022 9:17 AM MST
      March 2, 2022 9:16 AM MST

Russia used video game footage to create the "Ghost of Kiev"....no that was not Russia. 
    Russia is not the one using clips from movies and claiming it is Ukrainian soldiers saying goodbye to their loved ones.  That is MSM showing that....not Russia. 

I am sure Russia has its propaganda but it is not pro-Ukriane. 
      March 2, 2022 9:24 AM MST

I think it is because Putin was so hell bent on invading the Ukraine he didn't plan ahead  on how to keep his troops supplied. Plus he figured the Ukraine would fold after a couple of days. Cheers!
      March 1, 2022 8:47 AM MST

That reminds me that German guy decades ago.
      March 1, 2022 9:07 AM MST

I just watched a clip of a Ukrainian citizen removing a Russian landmine from the middle of a road so that his fellow Ukrainians could safely pass. He just picked it up and moved it to the side of the road and he did it well puffing on a cigarette which is crazy because cigarettes kill (stole that joke from Stephen Colbert).  I watched another clip of a Russian tank running out of fuel and a Ukraine saying - oh you broke down - I can tow you back to Russia. And I watched another clip of a few Ukraine's on  a island - a Russian war ship was demanding that they surrender and their response  was - F**K YOU Russia. There is 40 million people in the Ukraine and if they all have that much courage Putin invasion is bond to fail. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at March 1, 2022 6:05 PM MST
      March 1, 2022 10:09 AM MST

Thought I would add that that tank thing could be a sign that Russian supply lines are failing and that would mean defeat for Putin. So I think he would risk trying to get a convoy through no matter the cost. As far as  theater nukes go - that's his thing and he has been playing that thing for many years. There is a lot of Countries in the World that have nukes and most of them are willing to fight for democracy. Putin knows that so his theater nukes thing is over. Cold War is over baby and it ended in the Ukraine. Cheers!

March 1, 2022 10:46 AM MST

I view the war in Ukraine as evidence that a theory I have long espoused has merit.
    Namely, that it is better to spend thousands of dollars on anti-vehicle weapons, than to spend millions/billions on vehicles.
    (as far as spending on a defensive military, that is)

March 1, 2022 11:12 AM MST

I'd rather Mr. Poontang sacrifice himself. This post was edited by Zack at March 4, 2022 9:01 AM MST
      March 1, 2022 11:28 AM MST