Active Now

Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why do they demolish old buildings and replace them with new ones that don't even look as if they've been there since 1960, let alone 1860?
Bez

Why do they demolish old buildings and replace them with new ones that don't even look as if they've been there since 1960, let alone 1860?

Why don't they instead demolish new buildings and replace them with exact replicas of the old ones, so that they look exactly the same as the old ones did in 1860 or thereabouts? Why can't they see the obvious fact that older buildings are more aesthetically pleasing than modern monstrosities?

Posted - November 5, 2016

Responses

• I totally agree with you based solely on aesthetics.  On the other hand old buildings are hard to maintain and repairs and retro fits are often more costly than a new building.  
    It's true though.  Modern architecture and home design is atrocious,ugly, and cold.
      November 5, 2016 8:32 PM MDT

Thank you, Glis. At least you've posted a sensible answer to this question. In that case, what was all that sexist boloney all about on that other posting of yours? A liking for older buildings needn't signify an antiquated attitude towards women. I myself am already living proof of that fact, and I think you could be as well if you posted more answers like this and less comments like that other thing. Lol:)
      November 5, 2016 8:36 PM MDT

• I haven't stated my opinions towards women.  They might surprise you.
      November 5, 2016 8:43 PM MDT

I see. You were simply winding me up by using a sexist word knowing full well how much I detest words like that. What was the point of that, Glis? Please don't tell me it was a "joke", because it was far too unfunny for anyone to believe that.
      November 5, 2016 8:46 PM MDT

Not everyone shares your attraction to the older architecture.  I love beautiful buildings but they don't have to be 200 years old to be beautiful.  I've been in European cities that do not allow the façade of the building to be removed.  The whole thing might be demolished and rebuilt, but from the street it looks the same.  I've a lot of respect for keeping the personality of the village in tact.  We do that in my home town and it's not even almost as old.  However, the village itself was built in English Tudor style and the city does not allow the outsides to be altered by the shop owners. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 5, 2016 9:14 PM MDT
      November 5, 2016 9:09 PM MDT

That is a matter of opinion and taste. It is NOT 1860 and to pretend that we are still living in those dark ages is ludicrous. 

The only way to duplicate it would be to duplicate all the rustic nonsense and the flaws including maybe the use of candles instead of modern day electrics. 

No thanks.  If you want to live that way, there are plenty of 3rd world countries for you to live out the good old days in.
      November 5, 2016 11:28 PM MDT