Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » Have you ever left a store and forgot to pay. I once went through a self-checkout and forgot to pay.

Have you ever left a store and forgot to pay. I once went through a self-checkout and forgot to pay.

I got half way to my car before I realized it and went back to pay the $36.

Posted - July 17, 2022

Responses

No because I never go through self-checkout - I don't work for the store.
      July 17, 2022 2:59 PM MDT

The store I go to, the TWO lanes that aren't self-checkout are always lined up.
      July 17, 2022 4:47 PM MDT

Every time I've tried to use the self-checkout, there's been a problem and I have to wait for a manager to come and fix it.  Takes me longer than waiting on a cashiered line.
      July 17, 2022 5:03 PM MDT

Yes.  J.C.Penney.  My four/five-year-old daughter was holding a pair of pajamas she had chosen for herself.  They were folded in a plastic bag.  I forgot she had them and paid for everything else and we left.  When we got to the car, she was still holding them.  (Yes, moms can be a little absent minded sometime.)  We put the other stuff in the car and went back in to pay for her jammies.  Same thing happened with my other daughter and a little necklace.  At least once we had to drive back to the store, which as I remember was a KMart.  Anyway, a few times. 
      July 17, 2022 2:59 PM MDT

Little kids. When my son was 1 we went to the mall with him in a baby back carrier. On our way out of the book store, he snatched up a book. We didn't notice for a few minutes. The clerk thought it was funny. BTW, he started reading when he was three.
      July 17, 2022 4:50 PM MDT

They do love the books.  Sweet memories too.
      July 17, 2022 9:39 PM MDT

Can't recall that I've ever been to a strore.
      July 17, 2022 10:19 PM MDT

Nice catch. Thanks.
      July 18, 2022 7:02 AM MDT

Yes. Only last week!

Not a shop but a pub, when I was away on a short holiday. I bought a drink, ordered a meal and asked if I could set up a slate - this is an establishment where I'm known well enough to be trusted, but it has been defrauded sometimes by visitors. The manager agreed but didn't hold my bank-card.

I sat chatting to the landlord and locals until closing-time, totally forgot I'd still to pay; and no-one reminded me!

I was in my accommodation only next door for only five minutes, remembered, dashed back round but they'd already locked up and turned off the lights.

The landlord was outside the hotel door next morning so I told him what'd I'd done.

"Pay tonight", he said.

So I did, first thing, before buying a beer.... that with cash.
      September 11, 2022 3:33 PM MDT