Discussion » Questions » Military » Americans, are you aware of the ongong sacrifices our veterans make and are you doing anything to help?

Americans, are you aware of the ongong sacrifices our veterans make and are you doing anything to help?

Posted - July 3, 2016

Responses

•   July 4, 2016 7:23 AM MDT

• You are welcome.  There's nothing wrong with the question. It's a good question.

July 4, 2016 7:27 AM MDT

•   July 4, 2016 7:28 AM MDT

• Thank you Silver, that's what it's all about. This line  made me a little emotional. Ty my friend.

July 4, 2016 7:31 AM MDT

• I read somewhere that you can measure a country by the way it treats its elderly and it's veterans. I am afraid this country is lacking on both.

To see commercials on Tv where family members BEG viewers for money to help maimed Special Operation Soldiers!!! 

That it happens at all, and that the State AND the people allow it, should be shameful to every American. 

July 4, 2016 7:38 AM MDT

Yes, I am very much aware of the sacrifices as I've been supporting military personnel with care packages since Desert Storm and currently.  I contribute financially to several military organizations, and I make neck scarves that Operation Gratitude includes with their care packages to soldiers when the weather is cold.  There have been several troops with whom I've remained in contact after they returned home, two of which I meet for dinner when time allows. 

July 4, 2016 9:21 AM MDT

JA - thanks to your brother and the others who serve and who have served, irrespective of their reasons.  I understand how difficult the transition to civilian life must be for those returning from war torn countries.  I'm particularly distressed at the high suicide rate. 

July 4, 2016 9:22 AM MDT

I donate to the Paralyzed American Veterans fund. I have a veteran friend whom I drive to the VA hospital as well.

July 4, 2016 9:23 AM MDT

Hello 69:

I was there.  No PTSD here.  Some of us endured the horrors of war, and some of us didn't..  And, by 1971, those horrors were KNOWN far and wide.  That you DIDN'T know about them, is on you..  Look.  I'm no smarter than you, but at least I knew that I DIDN'T want to ever look my enemy in the eye.  That's why I went into the Navy.  I BOMBED the Vietcong by day, and slept in a warm bed every night.

excon

July 4, 2016 9:40 AM MDT

If you check out the Charity Navigator site, you'll find there is a donor advisory on this charity.  I'll give you the link and you will be able to see which other charities are superior in helping Veterans.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=13288

July 4, 2016 10:41 AM MDT

•   July 4, 2016 11:18 AM MDT

• Oh and that free speech you talk about, you're welcome.

July 4, 2016 11:21 AM MDT

Thank you so much! In fact, I was wondering about whether they were a good veterans charity, because they sold my name to other charities.

July 4, 2016 11:36 AM MDT

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan-

Thank-you to all the American soldiers past and present who served/serve this country. Without their sacrifices and the sacrifices of their family members, this country would not exist. I make a daily effort to make people aware of these sacrifices and remind them to thank any vererans they see out in public. I try to contribute as much as I can monetarily and times-wise to anything regarding the US military. They are the lifeblood of this country and the world. May everybody enjoy the 4th of July but also just say a prayer of thanks for the US soldiers past and present.

If you want to see a great film based on a real life hero, try John Garfield who portrays Al Schmid who lost his eyesite at Guadalcanal, the movie is Pride Of The Marines. It has become my favorite movie of all time....
      July 4, 2016 11:36 AM MDT

•   July 4, 2016 11:38 AM MDT

Thank-you for your service.
      July 4, 2016 11:39 AM MDT

Everyday I try to help them! I love the service men and women, and veterans.

July 4, 2016 11:46 AM MDT

And that is the problem with the extreme left-wing lunatics. Even on the 4th of July, they will never pass up the opportunity to bash this country and the people who protect their very freedom. These extreme left wing crazies are on every social media site, they try to intimidate people into not speaking their mind. America 2016, a very sick place. When you can't ask a simple question and btw a very appropriate question on America's birthday without getting the usual hateful responses about America and the people who served, this country is lost. I wonder why one person on this site in particular can continue to use foul language over and over just by misspelling words. It does get tiresome.

Good luck with this site, but a few certain lunatics have taken it over just like most other social media sites. People do get tired of this crap, their crap. But oh well, freedom of speech is alive and well I guess...
      July 4, 2016 11:51 AM MDT

peaceofmind.

I am sick and tired of hearing about how liberals can't be patriotic. Few people are more liberal than me, yet I volunteered for the US Army and went to Vietnam. My father was an FDR Democrat. He was awarded the first of his three Purple Hearts on Omaha Beach and his last at the Battle of the Bulge. Don't believe all of the GOP bullshit you hear. 

July 4, 2016 1:10 PM MDT

I can see why the PTSD rates for Navy folks on Yankee Station might be less than folks on the ground. Agent Orange was thought to be so harmless when I was in Vietnam that Air Force crewmen used to demonstrate just how harmless it was by pouring some in their coffee and drinking it. My money says they are all dead a long time ago. I don't even have words to respond to the rest of your statement. I'll just chalk it up to your being in the Navy.

July 4, 2016 1:21 PM MDT

July 4, 2016 2:04 PM MDT

So Sad, God bless all the Vietnam vets as well as all the others who served in any Hell hole on the planet.

July 4, 2016 2:10 PM MDT

We have invaded countries that are no threat to us, killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people. We are not the good guys anymore. We are, in fact, the bad guys.
      July 4, 2016 2:13 PM MDT

OMG. What fantasyland do you occupy?

July 4, 2016 2:20 PM MDT

Many charities sell their donor lists and I don't mind that, but after spending a lot of money donating to Wounded Warrior Project only to find that they were spending so little money on their vet programs, I now check every new one out before I send a dime. 

July 4, 2016 2:23 PM MDT