Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Isn't it cute to ask little kids their choice for president and why?

Isn't it cute to ask little kids their choice for president and why?

They have opinions too.

Posted - November 8, 2016

Responses

• No not really.  Using children's opinions and our outlooks to comment on politics is playing the emotional card and manipulative.   Using children in any way in politics is BS emotional manipulation.  Take the old excuse "  Think about the children. or "Do it for the children" .  When you hear that, you know you are about to be spoon fed some bullchit.

Fact is children have not developed the cognitive ability or have had the experience necessary to form rational or independent opinions on such matters.   Their opinion is based on what they hear from their parents and other trusted adults with just a little bit of emotional reactions based on what they don't fully grasp.

It's not cute at all.   It's a gross manipulation using children as political weapons.
      November 8, 2016 7:27 AM MST

November 8, 2016 1:15 PM MST

I have my kids take isidewith.com  quiz. And tell them when they are old enough to vote they should vote on issues.
      November 8, 2016 7:28 AM MST

I won't tell them what THEIR vote should be based on. I'm raising my kids to take responsibility for their own lives, among others to make their own choices, based on whatever THEY find important, and not what I find important myself. 
      November 8, 2016 7:36 AM MST

You can teach your kids however you want.  Personally I think it is a sad day when people vote based on things such as 'I would prefer to have a beer with candidate X but not candidate Y"
    I did not say I told them what to answer on the quiz...I have taught them that our vote matters and it is our responsibility that we should educate ourselves about issues and which candidate agrees with them on issues.  ie. If you are pro-choice....why would you vote for a pro-life candidate and vice versa.
    However, my kids are not little...two are in high school and will be voting in the next presidential election.  My oldest voted for the 2nd time in a Pres election today. This post was edited by my2cents at November 8, 2016 8:20 AM MST
      November 8, 2016 7:53 AM MST

Seems you missed out one very important word, responsibility. With that said, it is their lives, their choice... I will love them equally much no matter what they believe, or how they vote. 
      November 8, 2016 8:00 AM MST

Where did I say I would not love them if they disagreed with me.  
    No, I got the important word...responsiblity.....it is our responsiblity to educate ourselves before we cast our vote. To know what we are voting for and the candidates positions on the issues to matter to us as a citizen and a voter (this should apply no matter which side you are on an issue). 
      November 8, 2016 8:10 AM MST

Then they won't vote based on things such as 'I would prefer to have a beer with candidate X but not candidate Y"

I know my kids won't. They are ready to make up their minds on what's important to THEM. I have no issue trusting them taking their responsibilities seriously.

Btw, I never said you won't love your kids if they disagree with you. I told you my position.
      November 8, 2016 8:14 AM MST

Exactly my kids won't because I taught them that.  But there are many people in this country who do vote on things that truly have nothing to do with issues and policy. 
    You are the one replying to my answer saying they should vote on what they think is important (you did not mention issues in your reply) and I missed responsibilty..and how you love them regardless.  How am I supposed to take that?
      November 8, 2016 9:16 AM MST

I made my initially comment on your reply based in your remark that "they should vote on issues." We know your position on issues. All I said is, I won't tell my kids which issues or for that mater what they should base their vote on. They will be old enough, independent and responsible enough to make up their own minds, even if they aren't corresponding to mine. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 8, 2016 1:07 PM MST
      November 8, 2016 10:48 AM MST

Did I say I take the quiz or tell them how to answer?  And yes they should vote on issues as should every voter in this country.
      November 8, 2016 11:01 AM MST

They should vote on what's important to them. They will be legally adults when voting. We are in NO position to tell them how to behave or make up their minds. It's a different case if they ask to seek advice. Our work raising them is done in the past. My point of view. I can tell all my kids (including the youngest under ten) are following what's going on, even though we won't vote as we live outside the US.
      November 8, 2016 11:07 AM MST

I disagree. Everyone should vote for the issues they care about. I will tell everyone that.  If you are not going to vote on issues? Why bother to vote? Why would you vote for someone who does not agree with your positions on policy?
      November 8, 2016 12:10 PM MST

I don't think I said I won't vote on issues. But I am surely not going to tell you which issues you should base your vote on. Have a lovely day. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 8, 2016 1:08 PM MST
      November 8, 2016 12:18 PM MST

I don't really see the point.  But even a 5 year old can see that Trump is a bad person.
      November 8, 2016 7:49 AM MST

No, not really.

In fact, there's a strong neurophysiological argument to be made no one under the age of 25 should vote (or drink, or go to war, or drive a car...;-D...).

Kids are NOT just younger adults. There are significant differences in brain structures and cognitive processing between children, adolescents, and adults. To grant additional credence to the views of a child because he or she is "more innocent" or "wise in his/her simplicity" is emotionally-driven nonsense.

Yes, we are (most of us) genetically programmed to think kids are cute. That's so we won't kill or neglect them instead of raising them because, let's face it, kids are often obnoxious demanding trolls. But my late beagle Nellie was one of the cutest creatures on Earth, and the only thing she'd vote for in an election is "More Food!" (or maybe "Death to Squirrels!") This post was edited by OldSchoolTheSKOSlives at November 8, 2016 10:02 AM MST
      November 8, 2016 9:57 AM MST

@WW -- If you ask a child what should be served for dinner he'll reply, "Cake and ice cream!" not, "Fresh vegetables and lean meats."

If you ask a child what he should do on a given day, he'll reply, "Go out and play, then watch TV or play video games" not, "Study hard for my math test tomorrow in school."

Yes, there are exceptions. Yes, some children have more adult-like cognition than others. Yes, even children do understand some basic concepts about social cooperation and morality. I think it's even useful to discuss contemporary poltical issues with children FOR THEIR BENEFIT. Such discussions help children learn how to frame questions, consider evidence, balance competing desires, and the like.

But, in general, children and adolescents lack both practical experience and, more fundamentally, the brain structures to consider complex socio-political questions in an adult-like way.
      November 8, 2016 10:28 AM MST

@WW -- I suspect we actually mostly agree on most of this. My principal objection is to adult constructs which try to manipulate our opinions by appealing to our fondness for children. For example, I find almost any commercial endorsement which features children to be irritating and/or condescending.

Similarly, if someone said people should vote for Politician A because Child X said so, I wouldn't blame the child for that. I would ignore the child's recommendation and blame Politician A's advocates for engaging in poor behavior.

Otherwise, by all means listen to children, try to engage them, and try to help them learn how to do adult-like cognition. We all benefit from that.
      November 8, 2016 10:50 AM MST

• ^this
      November 8, 2016 12:23 PM MST

Normally? Maybe. Today? No. Trump has caused much anxiety in children, especially if they are minorities who are having consequences from a Trump presidency.

I have seen kids on the news with Hillary who have expressed anxiety because they fear deportation. Whatever anxieties their parents have, children pick them up. Muslim children are also affected, as Muslim relatives will be banned from coming to America to visit them if they live in other countries. 

As children cannot understand political campaigns, they should avoid politics, especially if it affects their family in a negative way. 
      November 8, 2016 10:15 AM MST

You will make such a great father. :-)
      November 8, 2016 10:54 AM MST

And that's exactly what makes you so special to me, among all the other stuff. Love dear. Hugs!
      November 8, 2016 11:02 AM MST
  • Bez

Most of them would say whichever candidate their parents would vote for. Children are too young to understand what it's really all about, so why expect them to?
      November 8, 2016 12:32 PM MST

You are underestimating them. They (some of them) do actually pay attention to tone, body language and are rather capable to look through a person to tell how sincere and empathetic they are.
      November 8, 2016 12:35 PM MST